Sign in with
Your question

DHCP and wireless issue. Crashes PC!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 24, 2009 8:32:47 PM

My Rig keeps crashing!

it freezes whilst using the net and its really annoying me as i know very little about networking but do have a generally good knowledge of PCs other than that! I will show my system spec followed by the error...i have checked google but theres no definative answer any ideas would be very handy!

System spec

MOBO:- ASUS A7V8X-X with updated chipset ( 6x PCI 1x AGP)
BIOS updated AWARD
CPU:- AMD athlon xp 3000+ 2.17 GHz
RAM 2GB
GPU Nvidia FX 5500 256MB on 8x AGP.... Drivers up to date as best known
Sound :- Audigy Platinum 2 (on PCI 3)...had to use a 3rd party driver as "creative" are crap!!
Network:- KLG 530 gold wireless (on PCI 4)...with the last known good driver!
HDD :- Hitachi deskstar 120Gb + Maxtor basics Ex HDD@ 80Gb
Wireless router:- NETGEAR DG834G

Im wondering if the addition of the wireless card has played havock with my rig.?
I have attempted to eliminate any IRQ issues by shuffling the PCI locations and assigning them. I know that the board should assign them on AUTO and also the device manager states theres no resource conflict with any device. so nothing there!

The problem seems to reside with DHCP and server problems on a wireless network that has one more PC attached to it.
I have made sure that neither PC shares the same name, and as far as i know the IP addys are dynamically assigned and are not static. I am so far unable to locate an IP addy aside from that!

these are th error logs thrown up in event viewer after a crash! ( first DHCP related)

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1001
Source: Dhcp
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_FAILED_TO_OBTAIN_LEASE
Message: Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address %1. The following error occurred:
%2. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Explanation
The DHCP client could not contact the DHCP server.

User Action
No user action is required. The DHCP client will automatically try to contact the server again.

If you expect a DHCP address and you still cannot contact the server, verify that the client is on a network that has a DHCP server.

and also this oneas a WARNING just prior to the crash

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 2504
Source: Server
Version: 5.2.3790.1830

Explanation
The server could not bind to the transport %1.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SRV_CANT_BIND_TO_TRANSPORT

Explanation
The server could not establish a listening endpoint on the transport listed in the event. The status code returned from the underlying transport is in the Data box. This status code might explain why this operation failed. The problem might be caused by one of the following:

A lack of memory,
A malfunctioning network interface, or
A network device that became unavailable during startup.

User Action
Do one or all of the following:

To verify that your network devices are functioning correctly, look in Device Manager or access the network by using telnet, ping, etc.
If network devices are working properly, and the event status code is 9A, then the server is out of memory. Using Task Manager, determine which unnecessary programs are using the memory, and then close them.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SRV_CANT_BIND_TO_TRANSPORT

Explanation
The server could not establish a listening endpoint on the transport listed in the event. The status code returned from the underlying transport is in the Data box. This status code might explain why this operation failed. The problem might be caused by one of the following:

A lack of memory,
A malfunctioning network interface, or
A network device that became unavailable during startup.

User Action
Do one or all of the following:

To verify that your network devices are functioning correctly, look in Device Manager or access the network by using telnet, ping, etc.
If network devices are working properly, and the event status code is 9A, then the server is out of memory. Using Task Manager, determine which unnecessary programs are using the memory, and then close them

sorry guys for the long report!!!....it mentions about a PING....but first i have to accertain the DHCP ...im useless in this sort of thing...

Id be so greatfull!

thanks guys!
May 27, 2009 8:03:34 AM

I'm having the same issues. Same everything in this report. Any suggestions? Maybe it is the wireless card?
May 28, 2009 3:25:21 AM

May want to check the settings in your router and see if it's set up for dhcp, and also that there's not a limit set on it as to how many devices it will connect at once, if it's one set up by your internet provider, that is a possibility.
May 28, 2009 2:43:26 PM

I think that it could be a problem with the device driver or the NIC itself. Try to unistall the driver, download the latest one for XP Home and re-install. If you still get that error message after that then replace the NIC.
!