Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Bottleneck
  • CPUs
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 24, 2007 1:08:20 AM

finished building rig in sig but not getting as much 3d performance as i would like i think my cpu is the bottleneck when doing in game benchmark in world in conflict when the nuke goes off the fps drops severly. since it is a point where there is a lot of physics calculations my cpu is holding my video card back am i right?

if that is the case then ill have to get a new motherboard and processor i might be thinking of going sli in future so i will need an nvidia chipset either 680 or the 780 and i was thinking of getting the q6600 any suggestions?

More about : cpu bottleneck ugrades

a b à CPUs
December 24, 2007 11:33:08 AM

No u r not right mate , X2 4800 @ 3.0 is a very good CPU, so dont change it , it wont bottleneck

Check out this review:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/459/4/

what resolution do u play @ ?
Definitely dont change your CPU, as i said its very good(Overall you have a very good system and there is no need to change anything only for just one game)
December 24, 2007 11:36:26 AM

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

If that's the board, it supports Phenom. If I were to upgrade the cpu, I'd wait for Phenom 9600 Black for the same price as the regular one. ETA should be soon. No way AMD is postponing this cuz it's the same stepping as the regular. That's the most economic upgrade.

I'm not sure if the 3ghz dually is the bottleneck, depending on the resolution. If it's over 1200, probably the GPU, depending on the in-game video settings. If you max everything out, it'll choke on some things.

Have you unloaded security software before gaming? Antivirus? Perhaps, something in the background is using the cpu. Also, find the sweet spot by adjusting the in-game video settings.

If you are going Intel, I think the 780i would be the best choice since it does BOTH dual & tri SLI. Yup, the SLI bridges are included. The Q6600 would be the best bang quad cpu. You could use the same everything else.

BTW, what's your psu?
December 24, 2007 5:48:28 PM

silverstone da 650 bought it with my card i dont think its not getting enough power playing at 1024 X 768
!