Sign in with
Your question

Cannot clean install WinXP on new BIOSTAR mobo, Errors!

Last response: in Windows XP
May 28, 2010 3:07:00 AM

I cant find a way around blue screen error messages during WinXP installation.
My story: I recently was running WinXP Home on a GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 with no issues. I decided to upgrade my mobo for quad-core CPU support and do a clean install of WinXP with my Home edition CD. The new mobo is a BIOSTAR TA790XE and I made sure it is compatible with WinXP.

Formating my drive with the WinXP CD was not an issue, and the beginning of the installation ran smoothly. After the system restart I get back to the setup screen, where I am told the OS is about to install and estimated time is "39 minutes". (This is the same screen that flashes all the great new features of WinXP as you wait for the installation to finish). Now this is when I get my error messages, the screen goes black and then solid blue, and I see one of the following errors at the top of the screen:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL

IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL

Ive done some reading on these errors and I am completely stumped, and I am really ignorant when it comes to operating systems. Here is what I can provide that may help you choose my next step:
My memory sticks are working, two 1gb sticks that display during the mobo's post screen. I have a CD-rom drive but no floppy drive. My CPU is an Athlon 64x2 6000+ (3.1ghz), GPU is an ATI 4850, storage device is 80gb SATA western digital. I am going to try an install on my old gigabyte mobo and post my results here later, but I dont have much hope.

One of my fears is that I am using an incompatible version of WinXP. It is OEM software and a disclaimer on the package says "for distribution only with a new PC". That should be fine for a clean install on any system though, correct?

Thanks in advance for the advice and if you need anymore information I will be checking this thread constantly until this problem is resolved.
May 28, 2010 3:20:49 AM

Tell us a litte bit about the disk. Where did you buy? When did you buy? Did it come with another computer? Is it a big OEM disk like DELL or an OEM disk like you might buy on newegg? What service pack does this disk come with?
m
l
May 28, 2010 3:25:56 AM

I almost forgot. What else did you change other than the motherboard?

Also, why did you upgrade again? You said for quad support, but the GA-MA770-DS3 supports all current AMD CPU's including the X6.
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2010 3:38:25 AM

The hard drive came with my original DELL E521, which came preinstalled with WinXP. I bought it in Dec. of 2006. The only hardware I am trying to change right now is the motherboard, but I do have a Phenom IIx4 955 that I am going to install once i get the motherboard working ok. My GA-MA770-DS3 is revision 1 and does not support Phenom II CPU's, thats why I chose to upgrade.
m
l
May 28, 2010 3:43:43 AM

Update: WinXP seems to be installing on my Gigabyte mobo. So WinXP worked on my DELL mobo, my GIGABYTE mobo, but will not install on my brand new BIOSTAR mobo.

/headscratch
m
l
May 28, 2010 3:47:22 AM

What cpu is installed on these boards at install?
m
l
May 28, 2010 3:48:35 AM

Also, do you know what service pack that XP disk is? Im assuming its the cd from the DELL system you listed.
m
l
May 28, 2010 3:55:46 AM

Athlon 64x2 6000+ (3.1ghz). The memory installed is two simple 1gb sticks, I think Wintec brand. They worked fine with my previous system, which I was using this morning. The WinXP disk packaging says "Home edition version 2002" but I dont know if that refers to a service pack or what?

(WinXP fully installed on my GIGABYTE mobo now. Seems like the BIOSTAR mobo has to be the issue?)
m
l
May 28, 2010 4:07:03 AM

Its XP home RTM. The original 2001 release. I think that is your problem. You need to dig up a disk with a later service pack or slipstream one with your existing disk.
m
l
May 28, 2010 4:13:09 AM

I dont follow you, how do I acquire a disk with a later service pack or "slipstream" as you put it?

Essentially I need to buy a more recent copy of WinXP? Or should I just bite the bullet and get Windows 7? I would prefer not to spend any more money on the process.

EDIT: Nothing on the BIOSTAR website for the mobo specs says a newer copy of WinXP is required. It just list the generic WinXP. Do I have a gripe with them if that is indeed the case?
m
l
May 28, 2010 4:13:23 AM

Do you have access to a more recent disk?
m
l
May 28, 2010 4:19:14 AM

If you do this, use service pack 2, NOT service pack 3. Service pack 3 is not cumulative, so it will not work with the RTM. But that should do the job. If this is too much for you, let me know and I will find an easier way.
m
l
May 28, 2010 4:27:09 AM

I imagine I could pull that off Falcon, and tyvm for this info btw. But currently I dont have CD burning capability. Also, from the link you provided:

"If you get the error: [Service pack cannot be integrated]
This is caused by the fact that your Windows XP CD contains updates that will be automatically installed when you run setup. This type of CD's will usually be from larger OEM suppliers (like Dell, HP, or others).

You cannot use this type of CD to create a slipstreamed SP2 install."

So im not sure if my copy will work for the slipstream idea, but I will certainly try it if need be.
m
l
May 28, 2010 4:32:06 AM

Thats right, its a dell disk.

I have another solution, but it will take a few hours for me to prepare and you would still have to burn a disk. You could try a local computer shop as well. They would almost almost certainly have one.
m
l
May 28, 2010 4:40:10 AM

I have a friend who has burning capability and I can use that without a problem. I will check out the local shops too. Thanks man, much appreciated.
m
l
May 28, 2010 2:32:24 PM

So now there is a new wrinkle, and I feel pretty foolish. lol.

It turns out my WinXP cd is circa 2008 and includes Service Pack 3.

Ive been told that the SP's are not cumulative so I cant expect SP2 to be on the CD, but then again I am not certain of that. I cant get through to BIOSTAR tech support yet. It seems I still need a WinXP disc with SP2, even in light of this new discovery?
m
l
May 28, 2010 6:38:41 PM

I solved the problem. Maybe not the ideal way but...

I did a clean WinXP SP3 install on the same hard drive but on the old GIGABYTE mobo. I then simply swapped in the new mobo and to my surprise it booted right through to the desktop, straight off the hard drive. My next step after all updates and drivers, etc., is get my Phenom II x4 955 working in the AM2+ socket.

I may be back very soon. :D 
m
l
May 29, 2010 4:40:23 AM

Sweatdog said:
So now there is a new wrinkle, and I feel pretty foolish. lol.

It turns out my WinXP cd is circa 2008 and includes Service Pack 3.

Ive been told that the SP's are not cumulative so I cant expect SP2 to be on the CD, but then again I am not certain of that. I cant get through to BIOSTAR tech support yet. It seems I still need a WinXP disc with SP2, even in light of this new discovery?

How is that possible? I thought you said it came with a Dell circa 2006? It would usually say sp 3 on it if it was. Are you sure?

If the CD is service pack 3 then its all there.

Service pack 1 and 2 are cumulative, service pack 3 is not. You must have at least Service pack 1 to upgrade to service pack 3. But this refers to the service pack upgrade only. Not a disk that includes it natively.

m
l
May 29, 2010 4:41:40 AM

Sweatdog said:
I solved the problem. Maybe not the ideal way but...

I did a clean WinXP SP3 install on the same hard drive but on the old GIGABYTE mobo. I then simply swapped in the new mobo and to my surprise it booted right through to the desktop, straight off the hard drive. My next step after all updates and drivers, etc., is get my Phenom II x4 955 working in the AM2+ socket.

I may be back very soon. :D 

I have done that before. It worked for me.
m
l
May 29, 2010 4:48:52 AM

I have been told, though I have never seen it myself, that those OEM disks are sometimes stripped down and on occasion have issues like this when used on different machines. That is a possibility if in fact that was a service back 3 disk.

I find it hard to believe that that disk had sevice pack 3 given that dell stopped including XP in machines after vista in jan of 07. Though it could have been a "downgrade" disk.
m
l
June 5, 2010 4:06:22 PM

I still dont know what the complication was, but Ive worked around it. I picked up Windows 7 Home Premium on a new MSI 770-c45 mobo and im running the OS off the same 80gb OEM hard disk that came with my DELL all those years ago. The BIOSTAR board wouldnt accept my quad-core CPU (although it is tuned to do so), I actually got a BSoD while flashing and updating the BIOS which really rocked the mobo. I couldnt reset it with jumper pins or CMOS bat reset, but Newegg gave me a full refund.

<3 the Egg.

Now everything is working smooth. Thanks for the responses all.
m
l
!