wondering what is normal operating temerature on graphics cards

svtybalt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Finally got a working Evga geforce 8600 GT graphics cars (after 3 weeks of fights with various cards). I was wondering what is the normal operating temperature on the card (not playing a graphics heavy game). Trying to gage my system's cooling system and how much heat a new power supply creates, and compare it to how my computer is set up, it's in a desk where the sides are against walls and the back is totally against the wall almost. i would like to try to push the card to the max just to see what it will do (I know it's not a top of the line 8800 but it's the best that would fit and perform in my system within my budget and would survive my building a new computer in the next year or so). Anyways, people's reports on their card temperatures would help. Right now i'm running at 49 degrees celcius, an obviously low temperature figuring i got internet programs running installing games and copying files, nothing stressing graphics card, on a low grapics game i reach about 54 degrees celcius. I want to test it out but not kill it. spent 3 weeks trying to upgrade a radeon X600 and this is the first card that was performing better and didn't crash my system every 10 minutes. My system is..

Dell Dimension E510
Intel Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz (runs around 2.8 GHz)
Running windows XP media edition
I replaced the memory with 4 1 GB cards (runs now at 3.25 GB)
I also know my memory board is crap (well it works but is veryyyyyyy picky) took me 2 hours to replace 2 512 cards with 1 GB cards (a process that takes me about 10 seconds on other computer)
Replaced the power supply with an antec basiq 500W (not the best but i work on a budget)
Running 2 internal hard drives one 80GB other i added with 160 GB
2 dvd drives (one a burner)
memory card reader
Monitor is a PCI flat screen (typical dell normal size flat screen) nothing fancy low refresh rate i know, one day i'll upgrade)

I upgraded my computer to the max that budget and motherboard will go, i'm wondering how far i can push things, any ideas, good games to test drive.

I do know alot about computers, Not graphics cards (low end and general use computer repairs) heck i get paid to fix everyday people's computers, graphics cards are a new world to me. advice, help, general temperature guidelines are great.

Thanks for responding. I think alot of people might wonder about temperature. (by the way i think my x600 card was crashing due to temperature pressures i put on it on medium quality games or was just the speed alone)

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
those temps are fine, and well in the normal limits. the x600 is a mystery though, because that antec SHOULD be able to handle it. what is its 12v+ rail specification?

svtybalt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
wondering what other video card temps are operating never testing this one to any max. Before i push it i'd like to know the max safe temp. x600 was the first of it's kind i know alot is a mystery of it maybe that's why i have a lack of a knowledge on graphics cards.

I've returned 3 cars to the store i bought them at, because of poor performance or total disasters, i would like to test this card to the max that i can without killing it. i spent more on the card because a 30 day open box quick return policy is great. rather spend more and be able to return it. By the way i know 8800 far out perform this little card but i don't think they will fit in my case, i was a Radeon fan and well neither of the newer cards will physically fit in the case (the CPU cooling system is in a bad place) what would be a good game to totally test the evga 8600GT's function. i reformated all hard drives before this new card's installation and installed all updates relevant. i almost want to pu this card to a REAL test drive to see what it can do. I spent weeks upgrading my computer to handle a new graphics card, without suffering some other computer problem, went way beyond the $200 buget, what's a good game or way to test drive this thing without killing the open box return policy at stores. I don't mean new games that will totally kill this card, just something that will give it a good run.