CPU Cooling (P4 HT)

G

I currently have a Dell 4700 mobo with a P4 mounted in a Raidmax Sagitta 2 case. As you might know, Dell puts green ducts on the rear fan in their case, and blows air into the case from the back through the duct to cool the CPU.

When I took the mobo out, I installed the heatsink that was in the Dell, which is just a copper base with aluminum fins and no fans. I am not able to monitor CPU temps because the mobo does not support that, and when I turn the computer on, the heatsink gets mildly hot just idling at the desktop (no way to tell for sure except by physically putting your hand near it). I have a rear fan pulling air out of the case, one fan directly above it on the clear side panel, and another fan in the front of the case bringing air in.

I really do not want to fry the P4, but I also would like to save the $170 it would cost to upgrade the mobo and cooling solution. Is there anything I can do to it to make it stay as cool as it was with the Dell duct?

I have a P5K-E mobo lined up for purchase if there is no solution, but cannot decide on a cooling solution. Anyone ever use or hear about the Asus P5A2 heatsinks? If you have another cheap solution to cool it for now, let me know.

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
You need a fan for a pentium 4! They are heaters. You can get really good performance heatsinks for about 25$. My pentium climbs to 60C with the fan@max if the cpu is loaded. Maybe get a Freezer 7 Pro, its really good for it's price

G

Yeah, I ordered a new P5K-E motherboard and a ZEROtherm CF800 cooler for a temporary solution, until I can buy a dual core for the board. The reviews say the CF800 keeps these things chilly. I hope for the best.