Sign in with
Your question

sequential read/write and random read/write

Last response: in Storage
November 20, 2008 11:38:24 PM

what is that mean?
Sequential read/write: 130MB/sec & 90MB/sec
Random read/write: 80MB/sec & 25MB/sec

I am looking for SSD for fast booting and photo editing, but i came across this?
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208410820
a c 167 G Storage
November 20, 2008 11:52:23 PM

If that ssd is for performance, you will be very disappointed. MLC units are notorious for long write delays. The cheapest unit that is any good is the intel x25-m at $600+. anandtech had a good article on this.

For performance get a velociraptor.
November 21, 2008 5:17:25 AM

SLC is so expensive. MLC from OCZ isn't too bad compare to raptor. from what i understand is SLC and MLC are controller, but the rest of the meterial are the same or very similar.

I appologize if i am wrong
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 21, 2008 6:01:27 AM

MLC is a completely different kind of flash memory. I wouldn't buy any MLC based drive right now except the Intel X25-M - most of them tend to have problems, especially with the random writes. If you want fast, but can't afford the $400+ for a good SLC SSD (or the Intel drive), I'd go with a 150GB Velociraptor.
November 21, 2008 7:03:05 AM

2 good Seagates in raid 0, built from the 7200.11 series of hard drives with 32MB of cache will be much more cost effective.
Those WD drives are over priced.
a b G Storage
November 21, 2008 7:08:14 AM

Not if you need random performance. Raid is great for sequentials, but it will never accelerate the random reads and writes to the speed that a single velociraptor can achieve.
November 22, 2008 3:32:43 AM

Is my assumption correct?

what is sequential read/write?
does that mean the hd read or write a large file?

what is random read/write?
does that mean copying a song or picture or seeking for a song?

If not, then can you plz explain?

November 22, 2008 3:59:34 AM

well it's been a long time but ,here goes,sequential read/write,is exactly what it says that the data is written sequentially as in 12345 etc,that is relative to it's offset on the hdd,,[just another way of saying it's address], random read write as in testing a hdd's access speed is usually derived from a "seed" # and the data is written randomly,these functions are used usually to calculate a hdd's access speeds and,may or may not include the hdd's head's latency.:) .
November 19, 2012 8:40:28 PM

oh *** , i did not know that there was ssds in 2008 :o 
I am more than 4 years late!!!
:D 
!