sequential read/write and random read/write

If that ssd is for performance, you will be very disappointed. MLC units are notorious for long write delays. The cheapest unit that is any good is the intel x25-m at $600+. anandtech had a good article on this.

For performance get a velociraptor.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
SLC is so expensive. MLC from OCZ isn't too bad compare to raptor. from what i understand is SLC and MLC are controller, but the rest of the meterial are the same or very similar.

I appologize if i am wrong

MLC is a completely different kind of flash memory. I wouldn't buy any MLC based drive right now except the Intel X25-M - most of them tend to have problems, especially with the random writes. If you want fast, but can't afford the $400+ for a good SLC SSD (or the Intel drive), I'd go with a 150GB Velociraptor.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
2 good Seagates in raid 0, built from the 7200.11 series of hard drives with 32MB of cache will be much more cost effective.
Those WD drives are over priced.

Not if you need random performance. Raid is great for sequentials, but it will never accelerate the random reads and writes to the speed that a single velociraptor can achieve.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Is my assumption correct?

what is sequential read/write?
does that mean the hd read or write a large file?

what is random read/write?
does that mean copying a song or picture or seeking for a song?

If not, then can you plz explain?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
well it's been a long time but ,here goes,sequential read/write,is exactly what it says that the data is written sequentially as in 12345 etc,that is relative to it's offset on the hdd,,[just another way of saying it's address], random read write as in testing a hdd's access speed is usually derived from a "seed" # and the data is written randomly,these functions are used usually to calculate a hdd's access speeds and,may or may not include the hdd's head's latency.:).