p5n-t or striker 2 formula

nman729

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
well, i plan on running 2 graphics cards...waiting on the new nvidia series...and the q9450. i already have an ultra x3 1000 watt psu. and a thermaltake armor case. i want to overclock the q9450 to at least 3.0, hopefully 3.2/3.4 on air. and i know that bolth boards only support 1066 mhz memmory...will this be enough to get a decent cpu overclock? i dont know if this is the appropriet place to put this, but im thinking it is...

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
why the bump...
didn't like Maziar answer?

for your information I have 2 boards that only support 1066 mhz memory.
Both overclock fine to 1600FSB so with either of the above boards you should be able to get that easily...
as to which is better... I don't know.. follow Maziar advice... his advice is good...
both boards are overkill for overclocking if you only want to OC to 3.0 - 3.2 ghz.

nman729

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
well, now i am starting to debate getting a 780i mobo or getting an intel chipset...anyone know when the x48s are coming out?

btw, thanks guys...i just wanted more discussion on the topic :)

If u want to go with new tech, u cant ever buy a new thing, if u want to wait for X48, then when it arrives, then maybe something else will arrive

if u dont need SLI/CROSSFIR, why dont u get a P35 board ? there are lots of happy P35 users here like me

It is solid for OC, good price and 45nm CPU support..........

nman729

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
well, i also like the features added, such as the cpu "cpr" or the little lcd screen...as well as many other sweet features. also, i want to option to have sli or crossfire...however i dont know if i want it yet.

neocortex

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
you cant run Q9450 on 780i mobo or any other nvidia mobo..Nvidia mobos cant run intel quad CPUs..only AMD phenom..its intel's way to fight nvidia for not allowing SLi on intel chipsets.
so if you want to run Q9450 then you're limited to X38 mobo, or maybe p35...anything but not nvidia

naiban

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Just had to respond to that as it is just wrong. 780i is NVIDIA's chipset for INTEL Processors.

I am also debating what to build my next system on. I have decided intel for the proc and am waiting till I can get my hands on a 45nm CPU, (probably dual core wolfedale).

I'm thinking Maximus Forumla Special Edition or P5N-T.... maybe I can convince myself to spring for the Striker II but that is a hard sell at this point being pretty pricey.

But I am having a hard time since I think NVidia's cards are better than ATI, but Intel's X38 (for crossfire) chipset is better than the 780i! I do want to go either Crossfire or SLI off the bat probably using either 2 HD3870's or 2 9600GT's. Also intend to overclock the snot out of it and so the Maximus Formula Special Editions integrated water cooling option is very tempting.

Sooooo.... there it is, hard decisions and the only thing keeping me from having to make up my mind is that the shop I want to have build the rig for me doesn't have any 45nm CPU's just yet.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007

what planet did you get this info from? or did you just make this up yourself?