Where is your Graphics Card made?

xelex

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hi! I'm trying to find out where the different brands of cards are made. (I'm building a new machine and want to avoid a certain country.) I know Gigabyte mainboards are built in Taiwan (at least the ones I've seen), so I assume their graphics cards are also.

Please tell us about yours:
1. Brand
2. Model/Chipset
3. Made in ________?

With me right now, I happen to have these:

VisionTek ("Xtasy")
Radeon 9800 Pro
Made in China

Sapphire
(an old) Radeon 9000 Pro
Made in China

Thanks!

You need to realize that companies will have multiple assembly plants in various countries, so trying to avoid a certain company can be difficult.

For example, Samsung have LCD monitor assembly plants in Korea, China Mexico and in one of the former eastern block countries (Czechoslovakia or perhaps Poland).

xelex

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
OMG yes I know parts can come from all over the place. I'm just trying to hear from people about what is printed or stenciled on their cards. "Made in China", or "Made in Taiwan", or "Made in Germany" or whatever.

xelex

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Okay, it sounded like people didn't want to bother. So I went hunting for some pics on the web detailed enough to read printing on cards, and here's what I found:

Diamond
Radeon 9250
Made in China

Asus
Radeon x1650 Pro, GeForce 8500 GT
Made in China

EVGA
GeForce 8500 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS
Made in China

GeCube
-couldn't tell-

Gigabyte
GeForce 8400GS, Radeon HD 3850
"PCB Made in Taiwan"

HIS
-couldn't tell-

MSI
Radeon X1650, GeForce 8800 GTS
Made in China

PowerCooler
Radeon HD3870
Made in China

Sapphire
Radeon HD2600 XT, Radeon HD3850
Made in China

VisionTek
Radeon HD2400 Pro, HD2600 Pro
Made in China

Armed with this info, I may just buy the Gigabyte version of the card I'm looking at because it's not "Made in China", even if it does cost $20 more than some others.

Maybe you don't like China too, or maybe you don't like Taiwan, or maybe you don't care. But some of us do, and most of us should. You're either a person trying to do whatever you can wherever you can, however small, maybe only here and there, to improve the world....or you're just another bit-head, always craving after the next tech fix, regardless of the consequences, selling the rest of us out.

bstep1989

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
if humans are so bad and dirt bags and all, your a human...do you wish you were a white tiger from the Himalayas or something?

and second who are you to say what is right and wrong, certain countries traditions and morals and values and overall culture are much different from ours, and many times developing countries need the low wage workers to support their rising economy, take an international relations class and learn what the people want, don't just assume you greedy self-righteous moron

But that is only specific to that particular card itself. Not all Radeon 9250s will be produced in China. There could be other Radeon 9250s that are made in Malyasia or Mexico for example.

Like I stated in my previous post regarding LCD monitors, companies will have multiple assembly plants around the world.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yup, by buying anything electronic, you're supporting China either way. Even if the card is made in Taiwan, the RAM could be made in China, the GPU could be made in China, etc. So if you REALLY care, you should avoid having a PC altogether. You aren't really avoiding what you think you're avoiding. Why bother?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
To be quite honest, if you are buying (or have bought) electronics, you more than likely are supporting several handfuls of foreign countries. Can you maybe elaborate why (and which country) you are trying to avoid? Is there a particular reason for boycotting this country? The good ol' USofA isn't exactly squeaky clean, itself you know...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not so much....

Just willing to try standing up for what's right, unlike most dirtbag humans.

To be quite honest, almost every large corporation that exists on the face of the planet exploits, steals, cheats and does what it can to succeed.

Those who are honest...usually die out from ______ (see above).

G

But where do the profits go? Something like Gigabyte or G.Skill these profits will go to Taiwan instead of China.

Just like most of a Toyota is built in America, the profits still go to Japan.

Its unfortunate that you cannot buy very many purely American products anymore. But in an international economy, its difficult to keep with with labor rates when unions in the US force labor rates over $20/hour when the same labor can be done overseas for a substantial amount less. Nothing against unions, just drawing comparisons to non-unionized (practically slave) labor.

neisonator

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
to be perfectly honest i wouldn't care if my hardware was on mars by martians as long as it arrived in a working and clean condition im a happy man. if it wasnt for china's cheap labor rates my job would be a lot harder.

xerohour

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
X1900 All in Wonder by ATI
Assembled in the United States .I haven't a clue where its actually manufactured, probably China like everyone else

But , good to see my card is "more american than the rest of yours" (sarcasm, for anyone to daft to tell)

bstep1989

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Last time I checked nearly everything is made in China.

*Checks shoe*

Yep.

The funniest ones I see are "Printed in the US" in big bold letters and off in a small corner it says "Made in China".