Can't delete even at the comand prompt.

July 23, 2005 3:57:16 AM

IT worked!! Thank you for the advice. The CHKDSK /f worked perfectly.
I had to allow it to run on reboot and it corrected the file error. I
did not even need to delete the file. I had run chkdsk without the /f
switch. It identified the errors but did not fix them it has been so
long since I used Dos commands that it never occurred to me to use the
Switch.

One last question. Would you rerun the command with the /r switch when
time was not a factor, or would you count your blessings and leave well
enough alone.

Thanks

Andy

CHK DSC GTS Wrote:
> The CRC message is telling you that there is a disk/data problem with
> this
> file. These various DOS boots, safe mode boots, etc. are the wrong
> approach
> for this and, as you found, will not solve the problem. You need to
> run
> chkdsk /f at a minimum. chkdsk /r would take longer but be better as
> it
> will check for bad sectors. When the disk error(s) is fixed, you will
> be
> able to delete the file. Of course, if newly developed bad sectors
> are
> found, you have another issue to address.

odea56

More about : delete comand prompt

July 23, 2005 2:20:59 PM

You're welcome. I'd probably run the /r just to be thorough, but most
likely it won't find any further problems.

BTW, In Windows XP, if you open My Computer, right click on the drive and
select Tools, the 'Error Checking' item can be used in place of chkdsk. The
top item is equivalent to chkdsk /f and the second one to chkdsk /r. A
reboot may be required from there as well.
--

news:o dea56.1slxpn@pcbanter.net...

!