Help With Hitachi HDD!

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Craziness! Okay, about a year ago, I bought a new 750GB SATA II Hitachi Hard Drive for my video games, music, movies, etc. A couple weeks after I got it, it started having problems: it would drop out of My Computer and the Device Manager, would get really slow, take a long time to load things, and would be error checked every time I started the computer. Within 2 months of me purchasing it, it died completely.

I recently sent it off and received my replacement (the period between was spent looking for a recovery program and learning about RMAs).

Well, I have the replacement, and suddenly, I am having the same problems. and I haven't even had it in my computer for 24 hours. I just got all my data on there, too. luckily it's still stored in another location, but god damn! what is going on here?

it works in Safe Mode without a hitch. I even tried plugging it into SATA 3 just to see what would happen. there is no difference.

here's my setup:

ASUS A8N-SLI w/nForce 4 Chipset
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3200 2.2Ghz
HIS ATI Radeon HD 3670
HIPER Type-R 550W PSU
Seagate 300GB SATA II HDD
Hitachi 750GB SATA II HDD
Plextor IDE DVD-Burner.

I'm going to call technical support and see if I can get any answers, but I want to hear what other people think it might be.

rezolution

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Maybe a bad SATA connector/port? Tried connecting it to another port?

Or maybe something is causing CRC errors on the drive and it's dropping down to PIO mode instead of running in DMA? You can check this under the IDE channels menu in control panel/system/hardware.

Have you run HDtune? What do the reports say?

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
it has nothing to do with the SATA Port or the Cable I'm using. I'm not sure about the CRC error. I've run some diagnostics from a utility that came with the original drive, and they didn't indicate anything wrong.

I don't know what HDtune is. I'll have to look it up.

TRENDING THREADS