Sign in with
Your question

Pc hangs at startup

Last response: in Windows XP
May 28, 2010 12:24:36 PM

Hello, pc hangs at startup on XP screen (SP2 installed some time ago). cannot use arrow keys to get to safe mode option.

More about : hangs startup

May 28, 2010 12:33:40 PM

Try using a different keyboard.
June 2, 2010 8:11:58 AM

aford10 said:
Try using a different keyboard.

Thanks. Tried that and was able to navigate using the arrows to 'start normally', 'last known config' and 'safe mode' but the problem persists. Goes to XP start-up and then hangs as before.
Related resources
June 2, 2010 12:07:29 PM

You'll likely need an XP disc to repair your install, or replace your boot files. Do you have an XP disc, recovery discs, or recovery partition?
June 2, 2010 4:03:45 PM

aford10 said:
You'll likely need an XP disc to repair your install, or replace your boot files. Do you have an XP disc, recovery discs, or recovery partition?

thanks. I have the recovery disc supplied by the PC manufacturer (Evesham, now out of business). I did load it into the tray when the pc was hanging and then re-booted but nothing happened. How should I use this disc?
June 2, 2010 4:53:09 PM

To use the recover disc, you'll need to tap the appropriate F (F1, F2, F8, F11...?) key on startup, to access the boot menu. Or you can boot into the BIOS (usually delete key), and change the first boot device.

Once you do that, the PC will boot off the recovery disc, and restore the PC back to original factory settings. If you can get your hands on a full or upgrade XP disc, you can do a repair install.
June 4, 2010 8:39:43 AM

aford10 said:
To use the recover disc, you'll need to tap the appropriate F (F1, F2, F8, F11...?) key on startup, to access the boot menu. Or you can boot into the BIOS (usually delete key), and change the first boot device.

Once you do that, the PC will boot off the recovery disc, and restore the PC back to original factory settings. If you can get your hands on a full or upgrade XP disc, you can do a repair install.

Did all that and it worked, after which I made sure all available updates were installed including SP3, removed the boot disc and all appeared well and functioning normally. Then on attempting to start it up this morning, the same problem! Hanging at the start-up. Tried 'safe mode' and last known config but without success. I don't have an XP disc. I suppose it will work from the boot disc again but would like to get a permanent fix. Thanks for your help so far. Any other ideas?
June 4, 2010 11:51:12 AM

Start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->look for system or application errors (red X)

Start-->run-->chkdsk /r

!