Raidmax Built In PSU and 8800 GT

abnospam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Hi all,

I am building a rig with a raidmax case and 500 watt PSU (I think 22 amps on +12v rail, if I have the lingo right). It also has a 8800 GT card in it, but I was told that card wants > 26 amps. Any truth to this? Anyone running 8800GT with this case stock PSU without issues?

If I did have insufficient ampage there, what would the symptoms look like?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
That case and PSU are too cheap for that to be a good quality PSU. You can try it and see, but if system unstable, buy a better PSU.

Mike.

doglips

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Raidmax is not known for Quality psu's..If it blows it can fry that nice gpu and other parts also. Dont take a chance. Never go cheap on psu's.Get a good Corsair.

Achtungbaby

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Depends what Raidmax psu it is. I have the Raidmax Volcano 630w modlar psu and have never had a problem, plus all the reviews of the model i read rated it very highly.... would never have bought it if it wasnt rated highly :) Try google the make and model of the PSU and see what comes up, hopefully reviews as they are often more reliable! But never buy a case that comes standard with the PSU... rather select a case and PSU separately! Good Luck :D

abnospam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I have only built about 4-5 computers, so by no means a master. I want to run 2 GB ram, 1 dvd, 2-4 HDDs and this nVidia 8800GT. Overclocking probably won't happen and if it does it is becuase I found the time and I will probably stay conservative.

Given all that and that I am cost conscious, which PSU would you all recommend? I am not running SLI or some other crazy stuff. Would classify my machine is average gaming rig.

abnospam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I mentioned cost conscious, right? Looking for under $100.

I see some folks saying they are running Fortron 450w 2x12v/18a rails with my setup just fine. That thing is $55.

Achtungbaby

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Hey there, I bought the Smillodon and psu separately although both are raidmax. I love the case and the PSU i bought. My PSU is one of their performance range and had great reviews all round. I got the 630 w version as I wanted modular and all modular psu's lose a bit of power through the connectors. All the test reviews of the raidmax PSU I bought were great. I have not had a problem, eventhough my card is an extreemily power hungry little bast*rd due to the TEC and i do not overclock :) I see that the 500w psu that comes with the case is a modular psu and is not one of their performance range. I would not get that psu if i was u! Get the case and take a look at Raidmax's performance range, as they are budget friendly and mine has not given me one hassle :)

The FSP PSUs are decent. They're on tier-3 of the list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon.

I've used three of them recently without issue, and have a 4th I may use sometime soon.

If I got a case with a RaidMax PSU in it, that PSU would make it into the trash without ever tasting 120 VAC.