P35-DS4 + e6600 fails to overclock at all?

tez

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2004
Hey guys.

Il start by telling you what my system is.

Gigabyte P35-DS4, Bios F11
E6600. water cooled.
Ocz Reaper pc 640. 800mhz.
Enermax inifity 720w PSU.
Inno3d 8800gt oc.

I bult the pc yesterday and had hopes of at least matching my clock this same chip had in my Asus P5N32 e sli- 680i.
Right from the word go the board clock seemed very unstable. I had got my pc more stable by enabiling auto voltage as to manualy setting it up.

I set the following.

Turned all things off not needed.
9x 333mhz
PCIe = 100mhz
Memory = kept at 800mhz or less using devider.
Memory voltage +0.3 = 2.1v
Vcore 1.38v

I had it booting and was stable in windows running 3DMARK05, Super pi.

When I restarted the PC it started as normal and kep working fine, but when I started from cold it would not post and just kept setting the clock to default.

I tryed a few other settings in bios like loosining the memory but made no difference. Next I put it back to where it was but it didnt post and kept resetting itself. Now no matter what clock setting I put, it fails, even 10mhz mre from stock on the FSB. It just fails to post and resets itself? I spent over 8 hours on this yesterday and im thinking that board isnt so great, just my luck.

tlmck

Distinguished
Not absolutely positive it will fix your problem, but it is generally a good idea to burn in a system at stock speed/voltages for at least 24 hours of continuous use before overclocking. Run Prime95, 3D Mark, Sandra, Memtest, and even some heavy duty games if you have them.

This allows the thermal paste to settle a bit on the heatshink, and allows the electronic components to get acclimated.

Assuming all goes well, then attempt the OC. Some machines will jump to max speeds right away, but some need a little coaxing. There is no hard and fast rule due to the variables involved in electronic components.

You have excellent components, just give it some time.

tez

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2004
I saw that there is a thead on the DS3 recycling its post boots from cold, looks beloved patriot its a Gigabyte problem. Whats is concerning me is that it was at least clocking frm 266 to 333, but now it cant even 276mhz and post?

tez

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2004
Right here is a update.

I have a enermax infinity psu that runs the fans after it shuts down. I noticed how this motherboard seems to shut down so fast and reboot and was thinking this could be a issue with the bad timing this motherboard has.

I changed my PSU for another PSU and right away I got it to post at 333mhz. I pluged my other psu in and it failed right away.

To iliminate anythink els I thought about what this other PSU was actualy running. It was runnig all but the Hard drives and optical drives. I tryed unpluging these with the main drive and it made no difference.

I sat there for a min or two thinking about this timing thing. So I removed my external USB drive and it booted past the 266mhz every time.

So there is a delay caused when the bios is booting and this resets the bios. Now I tryed it at 333mhz but it still failed to post. Now I know that this motherboard has issues with timing as to if it boots or not I turned off the PSU when the bios shut the pc down, thus stopping it from booting so fast. When I turned it back on it not only booted but it boots from cold.

So far 3 cold boots and it posts every time. It would seem that the bios has a timing issue and power issue due to shutting down and starting up too fast. The cold boot issue here was external drives taking too long to spin up.

cardio

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004
This problem is not uncommon with a P35 chipset, especially on the Gigabyte boards. It is addressed on the GB website, see forums, and in several BIOS updates.