Sign in with
Your question

AMD's Hyrid Graphics Previewed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2008 10:41:28 AM

This is AMD innovation at it's very best, Intel and Nvidia could lose many budget gamers.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13795

Article Quoted:
Quote:
During its financial analyst presentation today, AMD talked about an implementation of its forthcoming Hybrid Graphics technology on the desktop. In essence, Hybrid Graphics will allow users to couple the integrated graphics in AMD's RS780 chipset with a discrete AMD graphics processor in a CrossFire-like configuration for higher performance.

AMD hasn't released performance data for the technology, but the folks at Hot Hardware were lucky enough to enjoy a preview, and they've posted a few numbers. The numbers span just two games (Call of Duty 4 and Unreal Tournament 3) and they apply to the RS780 chipset's integrated graphics alone and that IGP combined with an unannounced Radeon HD 3450 graphics card (presumably based on the upcoming RV620 graphics processor). In CoD 4 at 1024x768, the IGP alone yields 30 FPS, while Hybrid Graphics increases that to a smoother 50 FPS. In UT3, the IGP chugs along at 27 FPS but goes up to 45 FPS when combined with the Radeon HD.

Those numbers bode fairly well for light gamers, although Hot Hardware points out that the drivers and hardware still aren't complete. Hybrid Graphics also presents advantages from a power efficiency perspective. The RS780 supposedly draws only around 20W of power, and in Hybrid Graphics mode, the discrete graphics processor can "almost totally shut down" when the user isn't running a 3D application.

Hybrid Graphics is expected to show up in AMD's Puma notebook platform, its Perseus enterprise platform, and its Cartwheel mainstream platform. All three platforms are scheduled for the first quarter of next year.

AMD prove that their the masters! AMD4Life!
January 2, 2008 10:58:10 AM

This is great and all... but it is still not 60 fps.
January 2, 2008 11:01:06 AM

uhh.. lol? 1024x768 and what other settings?

edit, I guess thats good for people on tight budgets, but imo, at that fps, stick to strategy games lol.
Related resources
January 2, 2008 11:27:12 AM

yes i agree with stemnin , this seems to be the best option for many people who are not heavily into gaming but dont mind playing age of empires or nba live every now and then .
January 2, 2008 11:48:20 AM

i dont know what this technology is good for? even the high end cards are available for a somewhat cheap prices, the x1950gt for $109? the 3850 might be a little high now but wait till the dust settles and now i am hearing about 384mb and 768mb 8800gs?!? i doubt that the 3450 + one of those mobos with hybrid gfx will cost less than $150. But what do i know?!? if i was hector ruiz i would be fighting for high end...
January 2, 2008 11:48:34 AM

I want to see what this setup can do in CoD4 or Crysis at 1920x1200.
January 2, 2008 11:59:43 AM

What can YOUR setup do in Crysis at 1900x1200?? (full eye candy I assume..)
Rock on ronny Ryan
January 2, 2008 12:06:53 PM

This sounds a bit suspect to me.... the benchmarks are comparing the IGP alone vs the hybrid system. What I want to know is how the 3450 does on it's own vs the hybrid system, since presumably this card would perform faster than the IGP even if there was zero benefit from hybrid crossfire.
January 2, 2008 12:08:12 PM

Mine... I do not run at extreme chunky quality because it hurts my eyes and I do not like all the features that extreme high (or very high as it would be called). I have it set so the motion blur is just there and does not screw you up in the game and such. I know I am running about 30 fps but am not sure because I do not care to run the fps test it comes with. Crysis runs great on my q6600, 4 gb RAM, 680i, 8800 gtx bfg oc2, x-fi. CoD4... everything is on as high as possible... other then contrast ratio.

I do not think any company should brag how great their graphics cards are when saying, "In CoD 4 at 1024x768, the IGP alone yields 30 FPS, while Hybrid Graphics increases that to a smoother 50 FPS". Yes that resolution is still used, A LOT! But that is saying any higher resolutions would kill that setup.

I do wonder if it is compatible with the 3870 or so. That could be interesting.
January 2, 2008 12:10:13 PM

9 INCH HAS RETURNED ON A NEW IP ALL HAIL 9 INCH.
well it sounds like him.
January 2, 2008 12:16:23 PM

shargrath said:
9 INCH HAS RETURNED ON A NEW IP ALL HAIL 9 INCH.
well it sounds like him.

What?
January 2, 2008 12:17:18 PM

THere's no way I would buy a 3400 series for gaming.
January 2, 2008 12:47:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
this seems to be the best option for many people who are not heavily into gaming

wow, that is one intelligent statement, since the article clearly states "FOR LIGHT GAMERS".

Good point.
January 2, 2008 1:22:41 PM

basically that article isn't very interesting to enthusiats, since one 8800 would beat the crap out of it, so thats what people who care about higher settings would want
January 2, 2008 1:23:07 PM

time will tell us if this works. thanks for the information.
January 2, 2008 4:35:00 PM

Quote:
christ shargrath you are going back a bit now, however, the title ain't all caps so perhaps not.

WHAT? What are you guys talking about?
January 2, 2008 6:38:20 PM

Ah, thank you strangestranger very much for the history lesson.

I think this article is neat to know about, but unless it is capable of running with ATi's highest most powerful card.
January 2, 2008 6:42:00 PM

I think what is a bit disturbing to me is that AMD bothered investing money into this technology. They aren't really in the position to create nice to haves or "thats cool I guess" items. Honestly...I see this having very little benefit to the masses and $$$ and profits come from mass adaption of cheap products.

And what is a casual gamer exactly? If I'm building a new PC and I'm interested in playing COD4 or UT3 I'm not going to be interested in saving $70 at the expense of having all my settings set to crap mode. Even if I only play every now and again. Casual gamers to me are people that play yahoo games online. But whatever.
January 2, 2008 6:48:21 PM

If i am not mistaken, they will use the igp to power a system under current 2d environments and effectively shut off a higher powered card. It's for the purpose of saving power, not increasing FPS.
January 2, 2008 6:56:59 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me If it scales well with different GPU's. If i were in the market for a mother board why not buy one that can couple with a 3xxx and gain an extra 5%.
January 2, 2008 7:30:00 PM

The real question is what are the performance numbers for the Radeon 3450 without hybrid graphics. Giving the difference between the IGP and hybrid means nothing. I could put a Radeon 3870 in there and you would see a massive increase in FPS in "hybrid" mode - but that doesn't mean that hybrid mode is any good. It needs to be better than just a solo card.

As far as power consumption goes, though, this is way past due. Nvidia and ATI should have cut power consumption in idle to sub-20 watts on all of their cards long ago, but they haven't, and so the option to turn them off completely and run off the IGP in 2d mode is an improvement.
January 2, 2008 8:27:45 PM

spaztic7 said:
I do wonder if it is compatible with the 3870 or so. That could be interesting.

That's what I was thinking. It'd cool to get some "free" performance, however small it may be, from the motherboard. Just an iteresting idea.

And I also like the idea of the video card shutting down during 2d aps. Sometimes I have tried making an overclocking profile in ATI tool or whatever to see how low I could get the clocks. Just so that when I wasn't gaming it would produce the least amount of heat. I just think it'd be useful.
January 2, 2008 8:28:27 PM

I have to agree with asgallant here. If nothing else, it is a step in the right direction, with AMD/ATI at least looking at how to make idle discrete graphics more power efficient. CPUs are several generations into being able to shut down idle registers in order to conserve power, so why haven't GPUs done this too?

Innovations like this might even open up the mobile market even further, allowing users to "upgrade" their graphics without having to buy an entirely new laptop, which has long been one of the advantages of owning a gaming desktop vs. a gaming laptop.
January 3, 2008 3:46:21 AM

Two points:

1. Didn't AMD play this game in 2007 where they did everything but lie about their benchmarks when compared to Intel and got caught with their pants down when someone cried foul? I'm not holding my breath on these benchmarks either. They wanted us to believe their 'lies' last year, are they gonna do better than this? Prove it!

2. WTF? An IGP! at 1024x768 and NO settings? You choose an average resolution, provide no settings information and claim it's 50FPS is awesome? Impress me and tell me that it was at max settings on 1024x768 at 50 FPS and THEN we'll talk! They compare to a POS card, AND give only a so-so resolution and NO settings. Sounds like a possible repeat of last year...
January 3, 2008 4:12:49 AM

thunderman said:
AMD prove that their the masters! AMD4Life!

Thunderman indeed has proven that he is the master of AMD Phanboidom. He likely believes that his government has his best interest at heart and that they would never lie to him. He likley believes in an invisible man in the sky that controls everything, but just can't manage money. Some how he has convinced himself that being the Champion for AMD will get him to a magical place where everyone is happy and loves him. So don't worry he is just trying to convince himself that his faith is justified, just like every other zealot out there.
January 3, 2008 4:31:55 AM

okay mister atheist, thanks for that?
January 3, 2008 11:25:35 AM

cyberjock said:
Two points:

1. Didn't AMD play this game in 2007 where they did everything but lie about their benchmarks when compared to Intel and got caught with their pants down when someone cried foul? I'm not holding my breath on these benchmarks either. They wanted us to believe their 'lies' last year, are they gonna do better than this? Prove it!

2. WTF? An IGP! at 1024x768 and NO settings? You choose an average resolution, provide no settings information and claim it's 50FPS is awesome? Impress me and tell me that it was at max settings on 1024x768 at 50 FPS and THEN we'll talk! They compare to a POS card, AND give only a so-so resolution and NO settings. Sounds like a possible repeat of last year...

+1
January 3, 2008 12:38:14 PM

xerohour said:
If i am not mistaken, they will use the igp to power a system under current 2d environments and effectively shut off a higher powered card. It's for the purpose of saving power, not increasing FPS.

IMHO, this will be the biggest advantage for enthusiasts.
There is no need to keep a massive GPU running while reading THG.
Just turn that puppy on when doing heavy gaming.

Add a couple Frames Per Second by utilizing the Onboard Graphics will be of little use to most people.
However, it could be a good boost for retail systems which do not have a good PSU to handle a high-end card.
It may make lower end cards slightly more usable. Mind you, I'm only looking at adding a couple frames per second, but when your GPU may only be able to get into the teens for FPS to start, that could be useful.
January 3, 2008 1:26:13 PM

Julian33 said:
This sounds a bit suspect to me.... the benchmarks are comparing the IGP alone vs the hybrid system. What I want to know is how the 3450 does on it's own vs the hybrid system, since presumably this card would perform faster than the IGP even if there was zero benefit from hybrid crossfire.

Definitely need those benchmarks.

bfellow said:
THere's no way I would buy a 3400 series for gaming.

True, but alot of people like playing WoW or other mmo's with those cards, or worse, then they go on to try a shooter and wonder why their 6100 can't handle.

Quote:
there used to be a troll called 9-inch who made baron look good, this was a time of major trolling and flame wars much worse now IMO. he always used to post titles completely in caps and they usually were linked to the inq but were flame bait, evereyone of them.

The OP is pretty close though, posting stuff that is very old (episode 3 thread), atleast this is actually new and not from inq lol...
!