Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heatsinks
Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2008 11:11:17 PM

Hello all,

I put together a new Core2Quad system today, but it is overheating
causing the system to halt in less than a minute. I was able to check the
CPU temperature once and it was at a whopping 80c.

Anyway, I had trouble installing the Intel Stock heatsink, it just would
not snap into the motherboard correctly. The heatsink seems to be properly
fastened at the moment, though I am not completely satisfied. Also, in the
process I probably broke/separated the thermal compound between the CPU
and Heatsink.

I have yet to install an operating system. It seems odd that the CPU
would run that hot in less than a minute, even without the thermal compound
or 100% secure heatsink? I mean, all I can do is go into the BIOS. Does the
compound and heatsink really make such a huge difference? Or could the
overheating be caused by something else (improper settings or defective
hardware)?

The side of the case is open, all the fans are running, and my
computer room is fairly cool. The system is yet to be overclocked and
I am using an Asus motherboard. Everything is set to auto at the
moment, don't really have time (before crashing) to change any of
the memory or CPU settings. The BIOS seems to recognize everything
correctly.

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

More about : system core2quad overheating issue

January 6, 2008 12:06:37 AM

Its quite obvious that your HSF is not mounted correctly.
January 6, 2008 1:11:41 AM

Perhaps. I am just surprised that the CPU gets hot so quickly while being practically idle, HSF or not.
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2008 2:20:17 AM

Yea, it's just so powerful. It's the way it is. We could go back a few years to lesser systems. I seen a vid of a quad (from a guy that gets stuff free) where he booted the Quad with no HS. It blew and smoked in like 5 seconds. You have to get the HS mounted right, and using the stock HS or stock thermal paste glob is bad. You'll get it right I know.....
January 6, 2008 5:59:37 AM

Er, did he turn off the thermal protections or something?
January 6, 2008 6:15:44 AM

Shouldn't it just throttle like all other Intel CPU's have in the past?

Other than that question, must be improper mount of HSF as others have said. I just put one together, and it's running great... now.
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2008 6:47:44 AM

Throttling occurs at 85C I think, or maybe that was shutdown temp, can't remember.
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2008 6:49:22 AM

Sacr1fyce said:
Perhaps. I am just surprised that the CPU gets hot so quickly while being practically idle, HSF or not.

CPUs produce more heat per square centimetre than an iron :lol: 
January 6, 2008 7:27:31 AM

if the heatsink isnt mounted properly then im not supprised your cpu is at 80.c

think about how hot a 60w light bulb gets, about 55w of the 60w is turned into heat and thats over a large space compared to a cpu.

imagine your cpu generating that 55w only the 55w of energy is concentrated to say, 4cm square surface area instead of the comparatively huge surface area of a light bulb.

take the cooler off a loaded cpu and it will die pretty fast (atleast the old amd ones check then link)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2008 7:35:15 AM

Actually I believe a 60W globe is only 2% efficient, meaning 58.8W is heat. No wonder they want to switch.
January 6, 2008 8:22:11 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the problem is that one snap-in has a bent pin and it isn't 100% seated correctly, though the HSF does feel securely in place. Breaking the thermal compound certainly didn't help the issue. I am going to buy a higher quality HSF later on today.
January 6, 2008 3:38:29 PM

Hi you all!

Just bought and assembled: So far it's working ok,but I'm told it's running too HOT.
Intel CoreDuo2 Quad Q6600 CPU (2.4)
Nvidia 8600GT 512MB / DDR2 GPU (Pci-ex16)
CM 690 Coolermaster Mid ATX Chassis (Case)
WINXP (Service Pack2)
Three120mm case fans (I think they are only connected to the PSU)
1)Raptor WD SataII 74 GB for apps and OS Hard drive
2) Western Digital SataII 500 GB Internal hard Drive for Storage

OK.
Now after putting everything together and it seemingly is working well, does anyone have any idea what the average Intel Core Duo2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4CPU Temperature should be running at? I have a MSI (Microstar P-35 Platinum Mobo) that came with DualCoreCenter Utility to monitor temp, system temps and
settings in the Bios.

I went to the BIOS and noticed that the CPU Temp was running at 61 c / 141 f ! That sounds pretty high to me. The System Temp was 29 0 / 84 f.

The Fan speed was1775 RPMS. Which one? It did not say,but I do have a front case 120mm,and a rear 120mm fan, and a 120mm side case fan, ad they are working.

In Bios, the System Fan #3 and #4 is Disabled. Could that be that my friend hooked up the Fans directly to the Power supply and not split them to the mainboard?

Is there website on Normal operating temperatures for the INTEL Processors?

If anyone has the MSI P-35 Platinum Mainboard, and has installed the DuoCoreCenter utility, How do you change the temp settings for the Fans and the CPU? I've seen the DOT Ultily to change the settings,but I did not see it on the Driver/utility CD.
Q6600 seems to be Very Hot! What are the normal CPU operating temperatures?

I installed the DualCoreCenter Temp monitoring software from the MSI (Micro-Star) Mobo Utility Disc and I also downloaded CORETEMP (v0.96) software to see what B gwan'on, and it shows that all four Cores are listed,
frequency is 2402.43 MHZ,
Platform is LGA 775,
VID is 1.2375v
and the following temps:

Tj.Max - 212 F
100C

CORE #O 142 F / 60C
CORE #1 138 F / 59C
CORE #2 126 F / 52C
CORE #3 124 F / 51C

INTEL CoreDuo2 Q6600 2.4 Kentsfield Quad

Afew peeps told me that the HSF or the CPU is not seated correctly and to remove and clean with Artic Silver5 thermal paster after I clean off with 90% alcohol or acetone.

The H/W Monitior in the BIOS is currently disabled..should I Enable this. and set to What settings?

Thanks again!
January 6, 2008 3:46:14 PM

Sacr1fyce...Did you ever get a new HSF? I'm working on this puter a few hours a day,and it seems to be having no issues with regard tio the heat,BUT, I've heard that the Stock CPU Qaud fans are crap and should be replaced...with what brand? I've heard of Scythe being a good one. My HSF also seems to be tightly adhered to the board too. But I'd better do something fast,before something does happen.
January 6, 2008 4:30:34 PM

I have the following system…
Idle cpu temp according to gigabyte EasyTune 5 software is 25 C.
System:38 C, room is 21C
I have ordinary generic silicon paste on cpu, the kind electronic assemblers use for power transistor. I love this ordinary white stuff as it stays “wet” for years. Efective? Yes, 25 C is good enough.

Antec PlusView1000 AMG case (4 years old)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad PSU
Intel CoreDuo Quad Q6600 (fan running at 1400 rpm)
Zalman CNPS 9500 LED cpu cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R mainboard
XpertVision HD 2600Pro Super graphic card
5 HDs (3*500+2*80 gb)
5 case fans - Nanoxia 80mm FX08-2200 Nano
(running at their min. rpm)
1 4” Cooler Master fan (running at 3500 rpm) attached onto Gigabyte’s passive NB heat sink
January 6, 2008 8:52:18 PM

Keep in mind, the board might not be reporting the proper temp. The Asus board in the system I just built was reporting something like 21C as idle temp..... yeah.... OK! So, I guess the CPU was running at or below room temp? No, don't think it's possible on air cooling.

Just because it's reporting that temp, doesn't mean it's that hot.

Feel the heat sink somewhere near the bottom, if it is installed properly, it should be pretty damn hot if you CPU is running that hot.
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2008 10:14:08 PM

weskurtz81 said:
Keep in mind, the board might not be reporting the proper temp. The Asus board in the system I just built was reporting something like 21C as idle temp..... yeah.... OK!

Was the BIOS telling you that?

Btw, my cousin runs his Q6600 on a golden orb with a fan speed constantly at 1500RPM. He got up to 66C under load with 5 computers in the room on a hot day. The stock cooler performs a bit better on my dads Q6600 but at a faster fan speed.
January 9, 2008 2:32:56 AM

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been working and building my computer these past couple of days. Anyway, I purchased this heatsink:

http://tinyurl.com/a9maw

It was still a nuisance getting it seated correctly. I am not terribly impressed with LGA775 HSF setup, you really have to press down hard on the motherboard to get it to snap in correctly. Never-the-less, I got it installed and my CPU idles around a cool 29C. So all is well.

Thanks again for the help.
January 9, 2008 2:43:58 AM

Im at stock everything, and CoreTemp shows 50,48,45,45 idle, and EasyTune Center shows 35C idle for the CPU and 43C for system... is this ok?

I have heard of people getting better, but Im on stock HSF so I cant complain I guess...
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 4:44:15 AM

The question is: what are your load temps? 50C isn't very good, but that's what I get on my E6600 without speedstep on and I have half the cores. Your CPU heatspreader may be concave/convex and this would pose a contact problem. I think this is what's wrong with mine.
January 10, 2008 2:25:07 PM

one point: most peopele leave thermal control fan option enable, it means: the fan rpm change follow the temp change, so it will spin around few hundred rpm under idle, and spin to full rpm under loading condition.
Base on this information, the 50 c idel temp is not bad at all.
January 10, 2008 2:34:57 PM

your computer is fine

get a good heat sink and some thermal compound - u might want to get a dell, dude!

sorry a little joke!
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2008 9:16:54 PM

bob8701 said:
one point: most peopele leave thermal control fan option enable, it means: the fan rpm change follow the temp change, so it will spin around few hundred rpm under idle, and spin to full rpm under loading condition.
Base on this information, the 50 c idel temp is not bad at all.

My dads Q6600 idles in the high 30s - low 40s with the stock cooler. And yes, that is taking into account the 15C offset, otherwise it says ~21C in 25C ambient temps :lol: 
!