nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
hey, I need to find a way to have 32giga of ram

(for exemple Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI, nForce 650i SLI, Socket 775 can have 32giga but have just 4 slot for ram, and I've never see 4*8giga ram, if it exist, say me where)

(an other motherboard isn't a probleme, and the price isn't a problem too, just is it possible, just help me to find a way to have 32giga)

thanks,

Gambini

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
To get that amount of RAM, you'll need a server mobo, which in effect you will also have to have a server processor. I looked for a 775 with enough slots, but came up with nothing. I'll link you to Newegg with a handy search ready for you: Clicky

There are 8 memory slots in all of those motherboards, enabling you to use this memory. Just out of curiosity, why on earth do you need that much memory?

EDIT: I found this thread, which might be interesting to you: Clicky

HTDuro

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
ho well .. ppl got too much money to burn lol even server are rare who use 32GB of ram ... i got 8GB in my pc only cause i got a really insane deal on 2GB sticks .....

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
what's the OP?

My father need it for work, but he can't find it(he's better at software than at hardware, roflol), and I'm maybe gonna have some money, lol

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
so the motherboard I've said at the begining with 4*4giga is 16giga, in fact dady say that it's enought,

He ask now if a card with 2 LGA 775 socket(for 2 processors intel core 2quad) with max 16giga exist, if yes, where and how?

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
dell want us to buy xeon, but my father need normal prossessors, 2 lga775 socket would be perferct, thats why a server will not be good('cause servers work with xeon)

runswindows95

Distinguished
The only Intel based motherboards with dual CPU sockets and 8 RAM slots are server/workstation ie Xeon based motherboards as of right now. Also, keep in mind that Xeons are normal processors far as software is concerned. You can run anything on a Xeon that you can a Core2Quad, and Xeons are a higher grade of CPU's than Core2Quads because the Xeons are designed to run 24/7/365. My big question is why does he need that much RAM?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I'm also confused as to why the hell you'll NEED LGA775 chips as opposed to the Xeon equivalent? They're EXACTLY the same in every way possible (Except for the fact that the Xeons could be better quality chips).

If you could send me a PM (Personal Message) clarifying what this workstation would be used for i would be happy to give you some recommendations as to what you shall need, whereas at the moment i'm sort of confused at what you're trying to get at.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
ROLMAO, People were asking me the same question when I spent $300 to upgrade my 486 to 36 mb (4 onboard and 1 32mb chip) back in 1995. Back then that kind of memory was unheard of and 16mb was considered a lot.

Gambini

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Well, with the limited amount of info, you'll need one of these: clicky
A couple of these:clicky
and a butt-load of these: clicky

That's just an example of course, but that's close to what you would be looking at.

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
He worson a medicin program(about scan), which take 60*360*4image (every 1/4 degrese the skan take 60 fotos to have the relief), all of those fotos have to be in ram,

for the prossessors I can't say you anything more, my father has a reson why he do not use xeon for this progam.

so he needs 16giga ram, and a really good prossessor with 4 core (intel) wich is not XEON, so we've thing about a core 2 quad or core 2 extrem,
and it would be good with a dual prossessor,

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
anything beyond 8GIG of ram is will only be accommodated in SERVER BORED. it doesnt matter if ur father like it or not. fact is anything above 8 GIG needs a SERVER MOBO. i hope this is clear enough.

If you need 32 GB of RAM, then you need a server board. Full Stop.

If that is unacceptable to you for some reason, then there isn't anything we can do to help because consumer level gear simply doesn't exist to do that.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

Yes! Buy four of them and a ASUS P5k SE with a quad core. Let us know how it works. LOL. Thank you.

When it dont work, learn some punctuation and spelling. After you learn how to read come back and reread all the post and find out you cant do it without a server motherboard. And since you want Intel you will have to get xeons.

But you dont understand that because you dont know how to read or write.

Crap in one hand, and wish in the other, and see which one fills up first.

^Agreed.
@OP: You WILL NOT be able to find a LGA775 motherboard that supports 32GB of RAM. Only servers do more than 16GB RAM. You are FORCED to get a Xeon chip if you ever want to get 32GB RAM. Why dose your father not want a Xeon chip? The latest generation Xeons are perfect for the kind of work that your father dose.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Well, your father is out of luck since he won't use a Xeon. I bet the only reason why he doesn't want to use a Xeon is they cost more than a Core2Quad for an equivalent clock speed. Far as the program goes, I have a feeling that the programmers designed that software to run especially on Xeons without any issues because they know that ONLY a server/workstation motherboard can handle more than 8GB of RAM. So, don't post that the software wasn't designed to run on Xeons because ALL software will run on a Xeon as well as any other CPU.