Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XP will not support Internet Explorer 9.

Last response: in Windows XP
May 29, 2010 1:18:30 AM

IE9 Will not Support Windows XP

Windows XP users will not be able to run the final version of Internet Explorer 9, according to Microsoft executives, cutting out a decade-old, yet still popular operating system.

In fact, the Windows IE9 Platform Preview, as well as the final version, won't run on anything but the latest Microsoft operating systems. Users trying to run the preview code on an XP system will receive the following dialogue box: "Windows Internet Explorer Platform Preview does not support any operating system earlier than Windows Vista SP2."
May 29, 2010 11:27:53 PM

I am so heartbroken......... :lol: 

I haven't used that crap browser in 7 years. Firefox still supports windows 2000 even.
Score

Best solution

May 29, 2010 11:32:26 PM

Nothing wrong with IE... a lot of people give it a bad rap, but I have absolutely no issues with it. Makes me wonder what others are doing with it that they have so many problems...
Related resources
May 29, 2010 11:44:45 PM

Zoron said:
Nothing wrong with IE... a lot of people give it a bad rap, but I have absolutely no issues with it. Makes me wonder what others are doing with it that they have so many problems...

For one thing, it was all manor of suck for years when it didn't have any competition. They didn't care enough to provide a decent product.

The situation is better today, but only because they are losing market share. And they are losing market share because almost every free browser out there is a better product.

I can't stand IE after using Firefox and others. A view widely shared which is why IE is losing market. It would be a lot worse if it wasn't installed by default.

Which brings us to the next point. IE would be a pathetic fringe player if MS didn't have the power to force it on every windows installation. Im not stupid. I dont use crap just because its given to me.
Score
May 30, 2010 12:00:06 AM

Zoron said:

Yeah, I use IE8 a lot. The tests in the Tom's article I linked are pretty revealing when it comes to speed. I'm looking forward to IE9 it looks promising.
Score
May 30, 2010 12:00:31 AM

FALC0N said:
I am so heartbroken......... :lol: 

I haven't used that crap browser in 7 years. Firefox still supports windows 2000 even.

I like Google Chrome. Chrome is faster than IE8 by all the tests I have done on my systems. Looks like Microsoft means business this time around with IE9 as far as the competition is concerned.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361444,00.asp

Microsoft is attacking performance on a few fronts in Internet Explorer. Not only has Microsoft's team rewritten the JavaScript engine to bring that subsystem's performance in line with that of competing browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera, but they're using a second core in multicore CPUs (pretty much every PC sold today has a multicore CPU) to compile JavaScript in parallel. Granted, other browsers have done a tremendous job with JIT (just-in-time) compilation of JavaScript, but using the second CPU core is a new twist that makes a lot of sense, and it benefits from Microsoft's knowledge of Windows 7's use of multiple cores.

The Testdrive site for IE9 has a slew of demos that show fast, smooth performance for things like resizing fonts, zooming around maps, and "pulsating bubbles." This speed boost comes from Internet Explorer 9's use of graphics hardware to accelerate image and display operations. The map test uses Bing Maps, but I also tried Google Maps in IE8, IE9, and the current SunSpider leader Opera, as well as in Google's own Chrome browser. The IE9 preview did indeed handle satellite maps and text labels faster than the competition.

One of the most impressive demonstrations of IE9's hardware acceleration is the Flying Images test. Here, 3D icons spin in formation, and the tester can increase the number of icons, their size, and their speed. IE9 consistently maintained above 60 frames per second refresh rate, while SunSpider leader Opera slowed down to 15 fps when I increased the number of icons and zoomed in. One test tool I was sorry to see not included in the test site was one that timed the top 15 or so most popular JavaScript commands; at Microsoft's campus I noted that IE9 was twice as fast as Opera on this. I would really have liked to be able to replicate these results for myself.

Reading this article persuaded me to try Google Chrome. I like it.

Score
May 30, 2010 1:44:13 AM

I hate IE with boiling bloody hatred. (I am not a fruit) My opinion about it that it is the most talentless horrible copy-cat losing piece of crapware ever made. Just look at IE8, - I can't hold my laugh.

However, this is why it will persist. I know in a free market... but we do not have a free market, so wake up, we do not have capitalism. And this is why IE will stick around for a while.

The business model of micro$oft is as follows:

1. Steal ideas and make crapware that would nevertheless appeal to many because of all the lies it is sold with. People do not have a long term memory, so they will never learn.

2. Educate fools to receive impressive certs from Micro$oft. Tell the fools how to solve the pervasive problems you just had created in OS (with a timely made update), so that they appear to have a magic touch. Hype those certs to businesses, so all the fools get employed.

3. Keep issuing new version of old crap that do nothing that already cannot be done by a previous version. But, make it easier and easier for those fools to write more crappy code for M$ products, with every version.

4. Because it is ever more easier to write crappier code, the fools will always write crapware that has M$ newest in requirements, thus forcing entire enterprises to buy enterprise licenses for new version that has ZERO R.O.I. (return on investment).

5. In the meantime keep holding everyone hostage for never ending updates, which fix the holes that should had not exist at the moment those fools paid for licenses. So, do the fools ever receive a "finally fixed OS"? Ha-Ha-Ha!!!

Of course not, not ever, because such is the purpose of a fool that he is destined to be separated with his money. Every "update" is actually a torpedo in the body of the code. It fixes visible, but destroys invisible, so that by the time the "NEW" OS is ready for sale, the previous one, supposedly the completely fixed one by now, becomes obsolete through end of support, new minimum requirements, and "magic" problems (that are caused by nothing else but the updates and fixes, but always apper to make OS look old and outdated, while there is actually little or no difference between old and new, except that the new one has even more clever cons built into it.
Score
May 30, 2010 2:40:45 AM

yep, thats about all they do.
Score
May 30, 2010 4:06:25 AM

devt333 said:
I hate IE with boiling bloody hatred. (I am not a fruit) My opinion about it that it is the most talentless horrible copy-cat losing piece of crapware ever made. Just look at IE8, - I can't hold my laugh.

However, this is why it will persist. I know in a free market... but we do not have a free market, so wake up, we do not have capitalism. And this is why IE will stick around for a while.

The business model of micro$oft is as follows:

1. Steal ideas and make crapware that would nevertheless appeal to many because of all the lies it is sold with. People do not have a long term memory, so they will never learn.

2. Educate fools to receive impressive certs from Micro$oft. Tell the fools how to solve the pervasive problems you just had created in OS (with a timely made update), so that they appear to have a magic touch. Hype those certs to businesses, so all the fools get employed.

3. Keep issuing new version of old crap that do nothing that already cannot be done by a previous version. But, make it easier and easier for those fools to write more crappy code for M$ products, with every version.

4. Because it is ever more easier to write crappier code, the fools will always write crapware that has M$ newest in requirements, thus forcing entire enterprises to buy enterprise licenses for new version that has ZERO R.O.I. (return on investment).

5. In the meantime keep holding everyone hostage for never ending updates, which fix the holes that should had not exist at the moment those fools paid for licenses. So, do the fools ever receive a "finally fixed OS"? Ha-Ha-Ha!!!

Of course not, not ever, because such is the purpose of a fool that he is destined to be separated with his money. Every "update" is actually a torpedo in the body of the code. It fixes visible, but destroys invisible, so that by the time the "NEW" OS is ready for sale, the previous one, supposedly the completely fixed one by now, becomes obsolete through end of support, new minimum requirements, and "magic" problems (that are caused by nothing else but the updates and fixes, but always apper to make OS look old and outdated, while there is actually little or no difference between old and new, except that the new one has even more clever cons built into it.

@devt333...next time don't spend so much time writing up an ignorant first person, meaningless off topic nOOb statement like this. I learned nothing from your drivvle except your self proclaimed state of fruitness and general lack of knowledge including your degree of unworldliness. Calling this drivvle suitable for a Preschool bunch is generous. No one in this thread cares about what you think. Your input with posts like this add nothing of substance or relavance for that matter to the discussion.
Score
May 30, 2010 4:11:49 AM

badge said:
@devt333...next time don't spend so much time writing up an ignorant first person, meaningless off topic nOOb statement like this. I learned nothing from your drivvle except your self proclaimed state of fruitness and general lack of knowledge including your degree of unworldliness. Calling this drivvle suitable for a Preschool bunch is generous. No one in this thread cares about what you think. Your input with posts like this add nothing of substance or relavance for that matter to the discussion.

Oh, it was a bit of a rant, but it was by no means ignorant. One sided, vehemently anti-microsoft, yes. Ignorant, no.

Except #5. No software is perfect. Not fair to criticize MS because software needs updates.
Score
May 30, 2010 4:15:35 AM

FALC0N said:
Oh, it was a bit of a rant, but it was by no means ignorant. One sided, vehemently anti-microsoft, yes. Ignorant, no.

Except #5. No software is perfect. Not fair to criticize MS because software needs updates.

Falcon...it's was ignorant. LOL.
Score
May 30, 2010 4:16:52 AM

FALC0N said:
yep, thats about all they do.

Well, you are stuck with technology that is not capable of keeping up with the cutting edge side of Microsoft and IE9. And I won't be installing IE9 in my XP Mode virtual machines. Gives something in common 'ya think?
Score
May 30, 2010 4:30:05 AM

badge said:
Well, you are stuck with technology that is not capable of keeping up with the cutting edge side of Microsoft and IE9. And I won't be installing IE9 in my XP Mode virtual machines. Gives something in common 'ya think?

Microsoft doesn't have a cutting edge side.

The alternatives will continue to be as good or better. I keep hearing about how good the "next version of IE" will be. It never is. Microsoft is great at hyping their products.
Score
May 30, 2010 4:32:07 AM

badge said:
Falcon...it's was ignorant. LOL.

He summarized almost every criticism of microsoft over the years, fair or not, into one post. By the very definition, it was far from ignorant.
Score
May 30, 2010 5:18:08 AM

FALC0N said:
He summarized almost every criticism of microsoft over the years, fair or not, into one post. By the very definition, it was far from ignorant.

Obviously it's you who is ignorant if you think that drivvle shows any sign of being anything other than an outrageous statement of personal ignorance on his part. M$ is evil. Nah nah. LMAO!
Score
May 30, 2010 5:31:06 AM

Quote:
However, this is why it will persist.

Persist? Great choice of words for a guy who has to clarify his degree of fruitness to the forum. Is we learning yet?

Quote:
I know in a free market

I certainly doubt your knowledge about anything especially your insight into the workings of a free market. Obviously.

Quote:
... but we do not have a free market, so wake up

What kind of drivvle is this? Your a sheet in the wind.

Quote:
we do not have capitalism. And this is why IE will stick around for a while.

Well, thanks for that ignorant, insightful bit of drivvle.
Score
May 30, 2010 5:49:01 AM

FALC0N said:
Microsoft doesn't have a cutting edge side.

The alternatives will continue to be as good or better. I keep hearing about how good the "next version of IE" will be. It never is. Microsoft is great at hyping their products.

In your case saying it makes it so. Little minds think little things. You should ask the Mods to rename you FALCON FUD. :sol: 
Score
May 30, 2010 8:53:18 AM

badge said:
Obviously it's you who is ignorant if you think that drivvle shows any sign of being anything other than an outrageous statement of personal ignorance on his part. M$ is evil. Nah nah. LMAO!

You seem to think that saying something makes it true. It doesn't.

The fact is the guy has an opinion and it is clearly an educated one, even if its a poorly thought out one.
Score
May 30, 2010 8:59:22 AM

badge said:
In your case saying it makes it so. Little minds think little things. You should ask the Mods to rename you FALCON FUD. :sol: 

Try FALCON KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. 25 years and 4 computer platforms while watching the computer industry grow up has taught me a thing or two.

And microsoft HAS NEVER been a cutting edge company. NEVER. They always copy someone elses product, and then leverage their OS monopoly to gain market share. Thats why they have 2 different antitrust cases in their history. And thats just in the U.S. They don't have a single cutting edge product to their name in 30+ years of business.
Score
May 30, 2010 12:25:35 PM

FALCON you are the biggest nOOb on Tom's in years. You reak of FUD with statements like, "They (Microsoft) don't have a single cutting edge product to their name in 30+ years of business." Don't take it personal, but I hate you.

Edit for writer's embellishments.
Score
May 30, 2010 12:39:02 PM

FALC0N said:
Try FALCON KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. 25 years and 4 computer platforms while watching the computer industry grow up has taught me a thing or two.

And microsoft HAS NEVER been a cutting edge company. NEVER. They always copy someone elses product, and then leverage their OS monopoly to gain market share. Thats why they have 2 different antitrust cases in their history. And thats just in the U.S. They don't have a single cutting edge product to their name in 30+ years of business.

That's one giant cough for mankind.
Score
May 30, 2010 12:46:11 PM

Quote:
They don't have a single cutting edge product to their name in 30+ years of business.

You obviously missed these.
Score
May 30, 2010 1:25:11 PM

Quote:
And microsoft HAS NEVER been a cutting edge company. NEVER.

They don't have a single cutting edge product to their name in 30+ years of business.

Bulletin! A social note to you.

Score
May 30, 2010 8:00:55 PM

Hey badge,

I haven't seen such a no confidence loser in a while. I stated an opinion. Mine. I even said so, yep this will be just an opinion. But you can't have folks with unapproved opinions, nope.

It is based on years of working in the industry. (I started there with sort of admiration for Microsoft, by the way, - boy was I wrong).

What is your problem with me?

Why do you comment on my "drivel"? Who asked your opinion on Me? This thread is about our opinions of Microsoft cutting support for IE9 on XP. My post was directly related to that topic.

Yours? You can't tolerate anyone disagreeing with your ignorance?

Why are you keep attacking FALCON? Because of his tolerance of others? That's right, you can't have any of that.

I watch your replies and bickering here and it seems like a mother in law, you just won't be satisfied until yours is the last word?

And stop this ridicule of my knowledge, of which you know nothing. You're making yourself look bad.

I have mentioned that I am not a fruit (Check it), but you can't read, yet you just bicker ahead anyway.

Free markets? Obviously I can't know anything about that, right? And how is that become obvious to you? Through your straw man fallacies (not that you would know what that is) in your attacks?

You created 2 pages of nothing, just begging FALCON to make yours a last word. Dude... grow up.

Someone disagrees with you. In the end it is you, who can be wrong too. Leave folks to their own opinions and for god sake

*STAY*TO*THE*TOPIC*
Score
May 30, 2010 9:27:05 PM

devt333 said:
Hey badge,

I haven't seen such a no confidence loser in a while. I stated an opinion. Mine. I even said so, yep this will be just an opinion. But you can't have folks with unapproved opinions, nope.

It is based on years of working in the industry. (I started there with sort of admiration for Microsoft, by the way, - boy was I wrong).

What is your problem with me?

Why do you comment on my "drivel"? Who asked your opinion on Me? This thread is about our opinions of Microsoft cutting support for IE9 on XP. My post was directly related to that topic.

Yours? You can't tolerate anyone disagreeing with your ignorance?

Why are you keep attacking FALCON? Because of his tolerance of others? That's right, you can't have any of that.

I watch your replies and bickering here and it seems like a mother in law, you just won't be satisfied until yours is the last word?

And stop this ridicule of my knowledge, of which you know nothing. You're making yourself look bad.

I have mentioned that I am not a fruit (Check it), but you can't read, yet you just bicker ahead anyway.

Free markets? Obviously I can't know anything about that, right? And how is that become obvious to you? Through your straw man fallacies (not that you would know what that is) in your attacks?

You created 2 pages of nothing, just begging FALCON to make yours a last word. Dude... grow up.

Someone disagrees with you. In the end it is you, who can be wrong too. Leave folks to their own opinions and for god sake

*STAY*TO*THE*TOPIC*

Quote:
5. In the meantime keep holding everyone hostage for never ending updates,

I know a class of four year olds who have better working knowledge of windows than someone making statements like this.

Quote:
which fix the holes that should had not exist at the moment those fools paid for licenses.

It's ignorant comments like this that we can depend on from you.

Quote:
So, do the fools ever receive a "finally fixed OS"? Ha-Ha-Ha!!!

What you do is this. First, switch off your PC. Unplug it from the wall and take all the leads out of the back. Then walk over to the nearest window and open it. Now, take the PC and chuck it out the window, because you're obviously too ignorant to use one.

You and FALCON get a room.
Score
May 30, 2010 9:51:57 PM

Best answer selected by badge.
Score
May 30, 2010 10:23:20 PM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
Score
!