milkweed18

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have a Asus M2npv-Vm with a Amd 64 x2 5000+ CPU that was fine until Yesterday now it doesn't turn on.

Every time PC turns on, It doesn't display anthing just a blank screen. There is a Power light on the Mobo and the Power Supply and the exhaust fans turn on. So i Suppose the Mobo is Fine. Could This be a bad CPU?

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
It could be a bad CPU or bad mem, or bad motherboard or even the powersupply. The lights on the mobo don't really tell anything, but if you can open the case, try to check if theres an error code in an bright LCD screen. If there is nothing, then tell us if there are beeps sounds.

Usually when there's an error in a device or something, there will be a beep code (needs the PC speaker to be connected in most motherboards, other comes with built in speaker)

Other things to take into account, I took them from my personal experience:

-if the monitor is bad, the PC won't post. Just try another working monitor just in case.

-Meassure the voltage of the CR2032 battery. Some mobos won't post if the battery is low lets say bellow 3 volts.

-Check if the CPU fan turns on

-Disconnect any USB device just in case...

-Other: try to reset the bios...

were you overclocking/overclocked?

Hope this helps

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Depending on the beep code it could be a bad video card as well. Similar would happen, and you wouldn't know it. Because of the video card is bad it would halt any startup as well.

Hmmm if you were ocing, have you smelled anything hot for example something that smelled like burning plastic coming from the pc?

It might not be the CPU, from what I remember, since I had one go bad loooong long ago, the computer would turn on, then almost immediately after going to post would turn off on its own. Or just not power on at all.

Do the disk drives and what not start to initialize if the pc is left turned on, HDD's and Optical drives?

Check to see that the CPU heatsink/Fan are properly seated. (recently had the plastic thing around the socket break on his AM2 system, thank god the cpu didn't fry itself. The little nub that the metal pressure clip locks onto had broken off)

...Check to make sure the RAM sticks are properly seated. Basically just pull them out, make sure there isn't any damage to them, and re install them. Thats another thing that will cause a PC to not POST or show picture on the monitor. Perhaps the Ram could of been jolted loose somehow?

If you have another monitor available try that out first, just to get that out of the way.

Generally if the cpu goes bad, you'll notice a lot of instability before that happens. If you were OCing, try and reset the BIOS back to factory settings by doing the normal clear cmos steps.

milkweed18

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I know its not the Moniter, since i tried it on a different one and still no image. Also I wasn't overclocking and there is no smell. I dont hear any beep codes. My HDD runs but my dvd-rom doesnt even want to eject, I had to connect my power and Ide cable from another computer to spit out the cd that was inside it. The installed PSU is a Apiva, (I think) But i dont smell anything from it. Im going to try to clear the cmos and check the ram and i'll post the results.

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005

If the DVD doesn't eject, disconnect it (IDE cable). I would also disconnect any device HDD etc. If that doesn't work, most likely your PSU went wacko but I won't discard any other mentioned already.

endyen

Splendid

What did you do yesterday, or the day before?
If the DVD drive will not open, it's broken, and should be the first place you look.

Try disconnecting everthing but, the power supply, cpu, hsf, monitor, one stick of ram, and the keyboard.
Make sure all of those are properly connected.
If this doesn't post, try the other stick of ram.