2gb iso in a 100 mb rar file?

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I met up with an old friend from high school today and while we were in a conversation about computers he tells me about this rar file that was on a cd in a box of computer parts he picked up.He claims that when he extracted the supposedly 100mb rar file he got a 2 point some gigabyte iso :eek:. I find that very interesting and im wondering if it might have been what they call a compression bomb or whatever.He smelled something fishy too and decided not to mess with it from there but Im wondering if he might have possibly misread the file size or something because that sounds crazy to me,but...i could be wrong.

Is that type of compression possible?He said he previewed the iso and it seemed to be intact and contained files.

What do you guys think about that?

Solution

Yes it is possible to compress the file with rar, no, it is not advisable to download free rar software from the internet, unless it is from a highly recommend, highly trusted, widely known source.
A high quality security application will allow you to scan a downloaded file before opening it and installing it.

Solution

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I think your right.I started poking around and read claims of some pretty high compression ratios with uharc and kgb archiver so i guess it can be done.

Although im not sure how practical it would be,if it was that great then everybody would stop using winrar but thats obviously not happening.Still pretty interesting though.

lol,by the way is that a cat or a rabbit?