Building first system and all is not going well...

bighedstev

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Ok so I got all the parts to build my first computer this morning (Christmas :) ) and I am attempting to assemble it.

I've already installed the cpu, heatsink/fan, memory, video card and plugged in the front panel controls. When I go to start it up, the cpu fan, video card fan and the two case fans all start turning. The fan and led in the power supply both start up. But the monitor, keyboard and mouse do nothing. No lights no error messages no beeps from the internal case speaker...no nothing.

Does anyone have any idea where I can start to try to find my problem? I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L/S3L paired with a C2D E6750 and 2 gigs of Corsair memory. The power supply and case are by Rosewill. The video card is an ATI Radeon HD3850.

Thanks in advance for any and all help I receive :)

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Did you plug in the 6 pin power connector in to the video card, and the 4 pin into the motherboard?
11.jpg

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Clear the Cmos, use one stick of ram and try again. Which power supply did you get? Some rosewill PSU's are ok, but most of the one's that come with cases aren't that great. Not trying to critize what you have, but that is also a possibility. Keep us posted, I'll be on and off the rest of the day.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

Okay, from a similar sounding experience, I would say check the motherboard standoffs (those metal screws with what looks like nuts on one side). I too have a Rosewill case and the directions for the standoffs were wrong, resulting in the motherboard grounding out. I must have F-ed with it for 2 hours (middle of the night, slow replies to my help plea lol). All my fans were spinning, power lights on, hard drives spinning, etc. I was baffled.

You do have the monitor plugged into the vid card, right? :lol:

On another note, you may want a better PSU for the long run, $61 after $10 rebate, free shipping:
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-450w-power-supply/q/loc/101/205466485.html