derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Someone I know has to give back their computer to the college because he has finished. When he gives it back he doesn't want all of his personal information to go with it. So I am trying to completely wipe a partition and not make it recoverable. I have done a full format 3 times via administrator tools in XP. However a program called recover my files can still find traces. So I wanted to use HD Tune Pro's Zero fill feature. But this deletes the whole HD and does not allow you to just do a select partition. I need to keep the Recovery Partition so I can install windows again later.

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
You can use DBAN to completely erase the hdd contents without worrying if anyone can recover any data. http://www.dban.org/ Free of Charge. Use 7 pass to be 100% sure.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
DBAN definitally seems like it will work but the part that is worrying me is this quote, "DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect."

Does DBAN let me select which drive and a certain partition; or does it do like how I read it and you pretty much start it and it wipes every hard drive it can detect without letting you select anything? Because I need to reinstall windows later which means the recovery partition cannot be deleted.

The data that is left is because a drive never actually erases files but just removes them from the file table(or whatever they call it. This allows the drive to write over it at a future time when you use that space), Why not just be lazy and FILL the drive to the brim with some useless file copied over and over(how big is the drive? DVD movies can fill an older drive fairly fast), then there is no more space left to be holding any old files :)

When you defrag you also move allot of data around breaking lots of recoverable files.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I always thought that the quick format just removed them from the file table, and full reformat wrote zeros or something. Thinking back on it full reformat is still to fast to actually be writing the whole drive. The movie idea seems alright, but I am kinda lazy to do that. I probably will in time if there is no better suggestions. The drive is 40GB so it won't be to hard. I'm just surprised that there is no app that lets you wipe just a single partition. I emailed HD Tune to see if maybe they had some way.

TRENDING THREADS