Temp Directories and Files.

I'm using XP prof sp2.

My windows temp directory is filling up with 0 length files which I am
unable to delete or send to the Recycle Bin.

I get the message that these files are in use. Bt they are 0 length and are
multiplying.

I'm showing spyware and virus clean.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Werner

Hi Werner

Have the files got 'today's date on them and have you tried deleting them
after rebooting your PC?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm using XP prof sp2.
>
> My windows temp directory is filling up with 0 length files which I am
> unable to delete or send to the Recycle Bin.
>
> I get the message that these files are in use. Bt they are 0 length and
> are multiplying.
>
> I'm showing spyware and virus clean.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Werner

Thanks for your response Will,

The dates are not today's date. They are various dates but are all in July
2005.

e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\Tmp00004f9a\tmp00000000.
There are 31 of these directories and files.

There are also a series of files e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\CS8432e.tmp. All these
are dated 7/23/05. There are 69 of these files. All are zero length and show
the same time. 6:19 am.

At that time I was running an anti-virus program (Aluria) or an Anti spy
program "CounterSpy.

But these two programs are closed and no longer running. Can this be the
result of those runs?

> Hi Werner
>
> Have the files got 'today's date on them and have you tried deleting them
> after rebooting your PC?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I'm using XP prof sp2.
>>
>> My windows temp directory is filling up with 0 length files which I am
>> unable to delete or send to the Recycle Bin.
>>
>> I get the message that these files are in use. Bt they are 0 length and
>> are multiplying.
>>
>> I'm showing spyware and virus clean.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Werner

Hi

If you reboot your system, those files 'shouldn't' be in use and they can
then be deleted.

--

> Thanks for your response Will,
>
> The dates are not today's date. They are various dates but are all in July
> 2005.
>
> e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\Tmp00004f9a\tmp00000000.
> There are 31 of these directories and files.
>
> There are also a series of files e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\CS8432e.tmp. All
> these are dated 7/23/05. There are 69 of these files. All are zero length
> and show the same time. 6:19 am.
>
> At that time I was running an anti-virus program (Aluria) or an Anti spy
> program "CounterSpy.
>
> But these two programs are closed and no longer running. Can this be the
> result of those runs?

>> Hi Werner
>>
>> Have the files got 'today's date on them and have you tried deleting them
>> after rebooting your PC?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm using XP prof sp2.
>>>
>>> My windows temp directory is filling up with 0 length files which I am
>>> unable to delete or send to the Recycle Bin.
>>>
>>> I get the message that these files are in use. Bt they are 0 length and
>>> are multiplying.
>>>
>>> I'm showing spyware and virus clean.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Werner

Hi Will,

It should be so but it doesn't happen. The c... files I was able to manually
delete in safe mode. But the others won't delete in safe mode or even when
rebooted after that with no programs running except the desktop (Windows XP.

If I had any hair I would be tearing it out at this point.

I run System Mechanic and the directories come up in the removing of junk
files but the won't delete there either.
I've tried to move them to the "incinerator" as well but they won't delete
there either.

Any ideas appreciates.

Regards,
Werner
> Hi
>
> If you reboot your system, those files 'shouldn't' be in use and they can
> then be deleted.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your response Will,
>>
>> The dates are not today's date. They are various dates but are all in
>> July 2005.
>>
>> e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\Tmp00004f9a\tmp00000000.
>> There are 31 of these directories and files.
>>
>> There are also a series of files e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\CS8432e.tmp. All
>> these are dated 7/23/05. There are 69 of these files. All are zero length
>> and show the same time. 6:19 am.
>>
>> At that time I was running an anti-virus program (Aluria) or an Anti spy
>> program "CounterSpy.
>>
>> But these two programs are closed and no longer running. Can this be the
>> result of those runs?
>>

>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Werner
>>>
>>> Have the files got 'today's date on them and have you tried deleting
>>> them after rebooting your PC?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Will Denny
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>>

>>> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

Hi

See if the following link to Kelly's web site helps:

Line 39 - right hand side

> Hi Will,
>
> It should be so but it doesn't happen. The c... files I was able to
> manually delete in safe mode. But the others won't delete in safe mode or
> even when rebooted after that with no programs running except the desktop
> (Windows XP.
>
> If I had any hair I would be tearing it out at this point.
>
> I run System Mechanic and the directories come up in the removing of junk
> files but the won't delete there either.
> I've tried to move them to the "incinerator" as well but they won't delete
> there either.
>
> Any ideas appreciates.
>
> Regards,
> Werner
>> Hi
>>
>> If you reboot your system, those files 'shouldn't' be in use and they can
>> then be deleted.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for your response Will,
>>>
>>> The dates are not today's date. They are various dates but are all in
>>> July 2005.
>>>
>>> e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\Tmp00004f9a\tmp00000000.
>>> There are 31 of these directories and files.
>>>
>>> There are also a series of files e.g. c:\Windows\Temp\CS8432e.tmp. All
>>> these are dated 7/23/05. There are 69 of these files. All are zero
>>> length and show the same time. 6:19 am.
>>>
>>> At that time I was running an anti-virus program (Aluria) or an Anti spy
>>> program "CounterSpy.
>>>
>>> But these two programs are closed and no longer running. Can this be the
>>> result of those runs?
>>>

>>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS