40+ C idle temps q6600?

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
hi everyone,

I have a q6600 G0 cpu at 3.0GHz with idle temps(speedfan/coretemp) of 40-44C. I don't think this is normal even for a 3.0ghz oc. Just for fun, I lowered the voltage to 1.175 from stock 1.25 and the temps, if anything, went up! right now i'm typing in firefox and speedfan is reporting 43C. I tried reseating the freezer 7 pro, but to no avail. I think I might get some new thermal paste? does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to lower these temperatures?

Thanks!

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006

Those are good temps :) as long as your load temp is under 60C

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
really? thats weird i thought it was supposed to be around like low 30's or so. but I checked in bios and it said that cpu temp is 33 ish and sys temp is 43 ish so thats interesting, no?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Did it appear to have enough when you re seated it? And you could always lap the thing, both of em, thats always good for a few more c.

Do the four corners test! Press against the top of the heat sink, leaning it one direction and apply a reasonable amount of force and see if the temps change. Do this from all four corners and ten just press straight down. if any change by more than 1 or so c, it's not firmly against the processor evenly.

All my better heat sinks make me re seat them once or twice before they are sitting right. Some want only 2 of the 4 screws, one screw has to be looser than the other, etc. They act as weird as anything else in the computer field! I think I currently have a silent knight, an arctic square, a TRUE a Xigmatec, a stock cooler... so I have had a bit of practice!

Only the xiggy isnt lapped, because it has the direct touch heat pipes.

--Lupi

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
do you have the speedstep, or whatever intel calls it, enabled? this automatically downclocks the cpus when not in use. it's a great power saver and it keeps the cpu way cooler. check with cpuz if your speeds actally vary with whatever ur doing.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Lupiron-
The freezer 7 pro comes with some paste already on it in a thin square, so I just used that instead of buying more. I will try those tricks and hopefully something happens.

Godless-
I thought speedstep had to be disabled when overclocked? im not sure though, it seems like it would stillbe useful

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I have the Same kind of problem as you i have a q8800Go and i have turned off Stepping in my BIOS but it when i get into windows i guess it ignores it cause i see in Coretemp the the speed still changes anyway with the stock cooler and at stock speeds i can sometimes see it idle at like 80c i have yet to put the Arctic cooler (freezer 7 pro) i saw that it had the Thermal paste on it but with most everything as far as CPU heatsinks fans i plan to scrape it off and put on some Arctic silver 5 and if you read the webpage with any thermal paste it can take in upwards of 100 operating hours to get it all set and work to the best of it's abaility

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
well honetly i don't know how it is with intel and overclocking, but on my amd phenom the only thing that is changed is the mulitplies not the fsb. that means when idle, it goes down to 5.5, when under anykind of load, one or two or all the cores mulitplier goes to 11. so my overclcok stays the same but the muliplier varies based on load.

shine

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I run Prime95 almost 24h day and my temps are (core temp) 83º at Prime's super high 100% load ♠♠

and 50 - 60 idle. Now is hot in spain. (almost summer)

375x9 = 3375 mhz

1.336v (cpu-z)

nhanandmel

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Yeah just replace the thermal paste with some good Arctic Silver. I have my Q6600 overclocked to 3.0ghz w/ a Cooler Master TX2 cooler. My temps via Speedfan are around 26-30C but it's been idling around 22-24C. You'd be surprise how much difference good thermal paste will make.

BUT, one variable is the case and room temperature. I have my setup in an Antec 900 case so it's full of fans to keep the entire case cool. What case are you using and what is your room temperature?