So lemme get this strait

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Bit a newbie on overclocking and just wanna make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. The cpu speed is measured by the fsb x the multiplier. In order to raise the fsb you must also increase the core voltage or vcore accordingly. The vcore should not exceed the VID Voltage Range limit to prevent overheating. The cpu heat will also increase as the vcore is increased and should not exceed Thermal Design Power. Does that sound right?
What I'm really confused about is how the memory all fits into this, how would I OC the memory?

Specs
e8400
4gb (2x 2gb) pc2 6400 CL5 cosair
ep35-ds3r

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
#1 - This is not necessarily any need to increase your Voltages. In fact I both Overclock and Decrease my Voltages at the same time. It is only necessary to increase the voltage to reach maximum overclock. It depends on what you need to do with the system.

Also the VID limit is not to prevent Overheating, it's to prevent excessive voltage from damaging the chip. You can Overheat w/o reaching max VID and you can cause damage by exceeding the VID w/o reaching maximum recommended thermal levels. But Increasing the VID does increase heat generated.

Now to your quesiton........

Start by setting the Memory Multiplier to 1:1
This will run your RAM at 333Ghz and your CPU will be running at 3.0 Ghz.
Then increase your FSB slowly which will increase your CPU as shown.

As you increase, monitor temps while under heavy load.
Increase the Voltage if you think necessary.
Don't use "Auto" for voltage - it generall applies more power than needed.

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Well it seems I'm on the right track. I ocd at 400fsb with 9multiply and had the vcore 1.25, memory set 1.1 (800mhz) memory frequency right on. I ran prime95 for 7hours last night w/o an error and highest temps were around 51c. So it seems quite stable atm but here lies the problem: If I increase fsb anymore it outgoes the 800mhz which is no recommended by looks of ya guide zen. Is this the cpu limit with the current ram I have?

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Change your Memory Multiplier to lower your Memory speed a bit and then raise your FSB a little more, if that lets your CPU run faster than the limit was your Memeory. If not then your CPU is at its limit for its current voltage.

4745454b

Titan
So why can you only overclock your CPU and not your memory? Just because its rated for 800MHz doesn't mean it can't go over that. See how far you can push the ram. Or as the others have suggested, lower the divider to get more CPU, though realize this could impact some benchmarks.

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
The divider cannot go any lower so I guess I'll up the memory. Is the ram more fragile than the cpu? will I have bigger risk increasing this? I really can't afford any pieces blowing up on me.

My plan is to up the DDR2 OverVoltage Control by +0.1v which will put me at 2.0v (1.9v Tested at JEDEC) then increase the fsb to 450 (4ghz oc) which brings the memory to 900mhz. Seem good?

G

yeah... I bought 2 GB Mushkin ram rated at 4 4 4 12 timings at 800 mhz... and overclocked it to 1200mhz 5 4 4 12.... its amazing ram =D

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Well I tried and my computer just had a fit, I would get to that black screen that say "dmi load" some crap with the ....after it and then get stuck in a restart cycle. I guess I'll investigate more on the ram issue later, could of possibly been the cpu at like 4050mhz idk heh, maybe 2.0v to much for memory.

The standard for DDR2 is 1.8v. Upping the DDR2 voltage by +0.1v puts you at 1.9v which most likely is not enough for the overclock you're trying to achieve.

4745454b

Titan
I have used several different brands of DDR-400MHz sticks, and all have overclocked to DDR-450 without a bump in voltage or needing to relax any timings. (200 to 225 without bumping any voltages for both of my Asus boards.) I would think DDR2-800 should be good to DDR2-900 without needing to go crazy. The specs call for 1.8v, but there is a lot of DDR2 ram out there that runs at 2.0-2.2v. I say push it to 450MHz, same timings, but try it with 2.0v.

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Cool I'll give it another shot. Under the up ram voltage it doesn't have any exact volts just how much you wanna add, I was under the assumption all mother boards are set to 1.8v right? So I gotta add .2v?

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
It keeps having a restart fit when I increase the fsb and then eventually it'll restart but have the original bios settings, 333mhz x 9multiplty.

You're going to have to start the process of elimination. 4Gb is harder to overclock. I would try upping the RAM to 2.1v (+.3) and try again. If that doesn't work, raise the Northbridge (MCH) by +.1. I had to raise the Northbridge on my board to get to 1600FSB. I know it's not the same board, but may have similar requirements. Just make sure to only change one thing at a time so you will know what worked if you all of the sudden boot successfully.

I don't remember if anyone already asked this, but is your PCI-E locked to 100 instead of auto? Have you disabled SpeedStep (EIST) and all the other things in the overclocking guide?

If none of that works, you may have got a CPU that is harder to overclock and will require a little more voltage (I bet raising either the RAM or Northbridge voltage will get you stable, but you never know). Try upping it a couple notches at a time until you are stable.

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Ok I have run into a problem. I had it oc at 38xxmhz I was using a 425fsb. The cpu voltage was just over 1.3 and I had +.2v on ram. I had ram timings 5-5-5-18 running at 850mhz. I didn't adjust any other voltages.

I ran prime95 overnight and woke up with it shutdown which seems odd and now every time I try start up my screen won't load "no video input" I have eliminated the monitor as problem since it doesn't load on my older one as well.

It posts and everything seems to be working as normal but the screen ain't loading. I think I may have left PCI-E settings on auto by accident which may have fried my graphics card? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

edit: I had prime going for about 20minutes before I went to sleep and temps seemed normal for load times, 50-51c.