Nov 25, 2007
hi all,
ive recently bought a new pc:
intel Q6600
gigabyte p35-ds4
corsair xms2 pc6400

now i wasnt really happy with the cpu @ 2.4 so i ooverclocked to 3.0
i set the on bios option:
system voltage: AUTO (this changes the cpu voltage to what it needed when oced... i think)
CPU frequency: 335
multiplier 9

= 3.0ghz

i think had to change the memory thing to 2.40 because with the voltages on auto the memory was overclocked so i had to change that to 2.40 to make it back to 802

but before my overclock my system would turn on and stay on but now when i turn my pc on it wont reach the flash screen then turn off and then turn itself back on again and it will be fine. i also think this only happens when i have just turned the psu on at the back, but if i leave psu on the pc will start fine.

is this a bios option that has changed??
or is this normal for my pc to start up, turn off then start up?

oh and the reason i always turn psu off at the back is because with my old pc it would turn on in middle off night rofl and scare the **** out of me... freaky ghosts

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Usually, when you overclock and let the BIOS to adjust the voltage, it sets the voltage higher that is required, leading to higher temps and increased wear. You should set the voltage yourself.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Something about your initial post tells me you need to go research overclocking a bit more before you continue messing with your pc anymore. I doubt you'd damage anything. But you could sure use some more knowledge on the subject to help you better understand what you are doing, and how to get better results without sacrificing the life of your system.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
BIOS has an option which if left enabled turns your computer on once the power to it is restored. (great in case of a blackout while you're away) it boots right up as soon as power's back and goes back to downloading or whatever is scheduled.

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
okay guys ive set to defaults and everything is how it started
now when i put the cpu voltage to 1.4v and the cpu fequency to 335 with multiplier 9 it also increases the memory frequency...

is there a way to overclock cpu without doing anything to memory?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
If anyone noticed from the original post, he mentioned his old machine turning on during the middle of the night and by the looks of it, he has no clue as to why....

@ OP, no offense, but that usually occurs when something is NOT right with your system...which brings me to my point: Are you sure you know what your doing to this NEW system of yours??? Then again, could have been if you had automatic startup enabled in the BIOS...

BTW, that turning on and off at random times usually deals with a BAD quality PSU and/or poor grounding. You may want to make sure everything is ok with this build of yours if you're overclocking it.... Out of curiosity, what PSU are you using?

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I have a P35-DS3 MB, so I suppose that the BIOS-es are not that different. There is an option in BIOS to set the FSB:Memory ratio. Set it to 2.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yes there is, it's the "memory thing" that you changed earlier. That number is the multiplier for the base clock. So if you OC you need to change that to keep the RAM from overclocking. The mobo sets it automatically based on the SPD of the RAM and it doesn't change unless you change it.

weegeebored

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
warlord,

I agree here with Evilshuriken - you need to read a bit more about overclocking. It used to be simple -- change the multiplier. Things have gotten more complex. I am by no means an expert, but knowing that I wasn't made me read what I could find.

That said, are you using the stock HSF? I'm not sure what you can expect GHz-wise with the stock cooler, esp with regards to stability and component life. With regard to the mem frequency, you can modify it with SPD which you mentioned at the start of this thread. As it's a multiplier, there isn't a way to adjust it independently of the CPU clock as far as I know on that board.

Strangely I have the exact same problem so I need help as well. I have a E6750, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, CoolerMaster 650W, 2gigs OCZ DDR2, Zalman 9700, MSI 8600 GTS. I've O/Ced to 3.4 and had to raise the voltage to 1.3812 to keep it Prime 95 stable. Even though it's stable, is that voltage not high enough so it's causing the initial start/reboot? The behavior is really the same as warlord's computer. I am going to try ZozZoz's suggestion. Off the top of my head, I don't know what exact setting that is. Obviously I would prefer not to raise the CPU voltage but if that's the only solution...

wgb

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
okay so overclocking the cpu means underclocking the ram to keep it normal xD .. in a way

and by the way my old pc was 6 yrs old... this pc hasnt turned on in the night or at anytime just i dont want to take the risk of being **** scared again xD rofl.

my new system imo owns

Q6600 @ arctic cooling freezer pro 7 cooler
corsair pc-6400, 4gb (2x2gb sticks)
8800gt @ tt duorb cooler
corsair vx 550w
ga-p35-ds4 mobo

oh and zorg normally my ram is @ 800mhz and when i do what you say i have to use 2.40 to get the ram frequency to 804 how come when i use multiplier on 2 it doesnt?

great case airflow:
1x 25cm side fan
1x 12cm front fan
1x 12cm exhaust fan

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
As I just said, you can change the memory frequency independent of the CPU frequency. As a matter of fact he already said he changed it in his opening post.

weegeebored

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Zorg,

Actually, he asked after your first post "is there a way to overclock cpu without doing anything to memory?" I answered that because it didn't appear that he understood what you wrote, so don't get your undies in a bunch. And I didn't know if warlord thought the he could just make a mem frequency change (set it to 850MHz, for example) instead of a multiplier change. There's a difference.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
My undies aren't in a bunch. He can just make a memory frequency change. It's just that on the GA-P35 mobos it is done by setting the multiplier number instead of putting in a target frequency. It does the same thing it's just a screwy way to do it. What I was referring to in your post is that you said that they were locked and they are not. The CPU and the ram are both clocked off of the base frequency, and they both have independent multipliers.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It really is simple, the base frequency x the multiplier = memory clock speed.

266 x 3 = 800
333 x 3 = 1000 (obviously a large OC for DDR2 800)
333 x 2 = 667
333 x 2.4 = 800
333 x 2.5 = 833 (very mild OC for DDR2 800)

The mobo will set a multiplier of 3 by default when it reads the RAM SPD (serial presence detect) information for DDR2 800. When you raise the base clock speed to 333 the RAM is overclocked too high, so you need to reduce the multiplier in order to ensure stability.

Also, don't forget to lock the PCIe clock to 100 or you will have problems.
You can actually undervolt the Q6600 at 1333 and reduce load temps by 10c.
As was said many times in this thread, you should put the BIOS back to default and do some research. You can easily damage parts due to heat. Not all programs read temps accurately so you need to be sure that you are getting accurate data.

A good start would be CompuTronix's Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide.

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
now your the kinda poster i like xD

urm i used pc wizard 2008 to get my temps is that accurate?
if not is there any other programme u recommend?

weegeebored

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Your right. My post implied that the CPU multiplier and the SPD were not independent. That was stupid. What I really meant to write was that the FSB (CPU Host frequency) and SPD are not independent. And the SPD is a screwy way because there are a fixed number of multipliers. If I recall there's a jump from a 2.5x to a 3.0x.

So, back to warlord's original problem as it would probably help me...

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Scale 4: Quad
Q6600: Tcase Max 62c, B3 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Default 1.372, TDP 105w, Delta 10c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--60--/--70--70--70--70-- Hot
--55--/--65--65--65--65-- Warm
--50--/--60--60--60--60-- Safe
--25--/--40--40--40--40-- Cool

when i had it overclocked my temps were between cool and safe using pc wizard

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008

not so good really. Had it fry a psu here once. See power went out, back on out back on out back on several times real fast. Think was a car accident and hit power pole. Well, power cycling that fast WILL burn something up and it did. It killed my psu. Cheaper TTGI but still. I was lucky thats all it killed. Ever since I leave that off.

weegeebored

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I've used Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool based on others' recommendations. I've used another (coretemp??) that seemed to match TAT's output but I'm really not sure that's the name of it though.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I like Core Temp. Core Temp should read the Tjunction max (labeled only Tjunction) correctly so no offset should be required. Notice that CompuTronix talks about Tcase and it's relationship to Tcore. You really need to study his guide carefully, there is a lot more to consider than it appears at first glance. Core Temp will do for a fast and dirty look at the core temps. As for PC wizard, I have never used it. I would compare it against Core Temp which is correct.

Here's a good CPU stress tester Prime95 25.5.
Be sure to keep a close eye on temps because @ 3G/1333 with a stock HS they can get very hot very fast, especially if the stock HS comes loose, which is not uncommon.