Dell utility partition

anto_04

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
i have recreated this partion in the past . i created a image the dell partition and imported the image to a new partition on a new drive .The partition would not boot until I updated the partition from dell diag download.The partition then worked perfectly .I have done this once successfully on a new drive but have not been able to recreate this on other new drives

try a Dell proprietary drive.

G

I have a Ghost image of the Dell Diag partition that I restore to new drives and then install Windows. I can email you the .gho file if you have Ghost.

P.S. There ls not such thing as a "Dell proprietary drive"! Stop spreading FUD!

That would depend on the model of the computer and the date it was manufactured. Dell made several models with hardware that appears to be standard ATX, but there are numerous changes to custom manufactured components. Some changes were in the pin outs, cables, drive software configurations...Dell began to phase out these components a few years ago after complaints from customers mounted.

G

I find that hard to believe. I've replaced hard drives in Dells with standard ones since 1998 and never had a problem. I know Dell Power Supplies can be unique.

You imagine that because you replace parts in Dells, that all Dell computers are the same, your are completely wrong. You know that the power supplies can be unique? At least you have one clue out of 100, not bad.

I have heard rumors that Dell would swap some of the wiring on the PSUs in some of their older systems. I don't think I've ever seen a confirmed report of it though.

I've worked on several older Dells. In fact, I've got a couple Optiplexs and Dimensions at home right now. There was nothing proprietary about the hard drives. They often used quantum fireball, maxtor, and seagate hard drives. I've replaced hard drives in several different models without issue.

G

No, I didn't imagine replacing parts in Dells. I worked in IT for a large software company that had thousands of Dells. Not once did I ever find a Dell proprietary hard drive. I don't know where you're getting your info but you need to quit spreading FUD. Keep up the insults and you'll have a weeks vacation from the forums.