May 29, 2010 5:55:59 PM

I just built the following system so I could run XP based software :
Intel DH55HC MoBo,
Intel i7-860 CPU
NVidia GT 240 video
Crucial DDR 3 4 GB 1333 ram
Samsung dvd drive,
WD HDD

XP Pro install freezes just after drvers loaded and O/S is starting install. :ange:  :cry: 
XP Pro is svc.pk 1
Intel MoBo support states XP must be svc pk 2 to support PCI express.
DVD drive OK as Ubuntu installed OK on system
XP disk is good as it installed w/out problems on an older test system.

Must I purchase a copy of XP with svc pk 2 for a successful install?

I'd considered Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate running virtual XP but, to my knowlege, the CPU will allow virtual XP in Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate but not the MoBo.

Any other way around installation freezup?
Thanks in advance for your help.
May 29, 2010 7:00:10 PM

what is the frequency of the processor?
What is the model number of the RAM?
Look in the bios setup, what file system is set for the hard drive, if available?
Did you clear the CMOS before starting the setup?
Is this a used hard drive? What was installed previously on the hard drive?
May 29, 2010 8:47:38 PM

i7-860 CPU is 2.80 GHz

Crucial RAM:
CT2CP25664BA1339
described on package as PC3-10600 UnBuff (ered)
2gb 240 pin 256MX64 DDR3

Drive configuration in BIOS set for following factory default:
ATA/IDE mode- Native
Storafge Controller configured as IDE
SMART enabled
eSata enabled.

CMOS not cleared - left jumper in normal position as arrived from factory
New Hard drive SATA WDC WD5000-only installed UBUNTU as test when XP would not install.
Related resources
May 29, 2010 9:53:30 PM

intelowner said:

Must I purchase a copy of XP with svc pk 2 for a successful install?

Any other way around installation freezup?
Thanks in advance for your help.

You just need to find a disk with SP 2 or greater. Your key should be fine. You can also slipstream SP2 or SP3 with your existing disk.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...

What is the source of your XP pro disk? Is it a retail disk? And OEM disk that came with a DELL? A retail upgrade? An OEM that you purchased? A VLK disk? Each of these versions uses a different type of key. I can point you in the right direction, but I need to know which type of key.

May 29, 2010 10:23:34 PM

Thanks for your help.
My disk is OEM and the new MoBo is meant to replace my Intel D845WN / Intel 1.6 Ghz P4 from a custom build purchase.
I did locate the Intel support suggestion of slipstreaming and,
though I have never done so,
I will try it as I am not certain if I will be able to purchase a copy of XP Pro
The old 1.6 cpu will run Ubuntu for internet access if I am able to transfer theXP to the new unit.
Thanks again for your advise.
May 29, 2010 11:21:46 PM

intelowner said:
Thanks for your help.
My disk is OEM and the new MoBo is meant to replace my Intel D845WN / Intel 1.6 Ghz P4 from a custom build purchase.
I did locate the Intel support suggestion of slipstreaming and,
though I have never done so,
I will try it as I am not certain if I will be able to purchase a copy of XP Pro
The old 1.6 cpu will run Ubuntu for internet access if I am able to transfer theXP to the new unit.
Thanks again for your advise.

If you have a valid copy of XP, there is no reason you purchase another. The disks of the same type (retai, upgrade, OEM, and VLK are interchangeable.

The only thing I would make your you do when attempting to slipstream is to make sure you copy the windows files to your hard drive. Don't try to use the files straight off the cd. I have had issues working with the files off the CD.

You should be able to get an OEM pro disk from a local computer shop as well. All you need is the disk.
May 29, 2010 11:35:44 PM

FALC0N said:
If you have a valid copy of XP, there is no reason you purchase another. The disks of the same type (retai, upgrade, OEM, and VLK are interchangeable.

The only thing I would make your you do when attempting to slipstream is to make sure you copy the windows files to your hard drive. Don't try to use the files straight off the cd. I have had issues working with the files off the CD.

You should be able to get an OEM pro disk from a local computer shop as well. All you need is the disk.

Falcon:
thamks again- especially for the link.
I will copy the Windows files first to my HDD and post my results, though it may be Sunday 30th as I will be burning an Ubuntu 10.04 disc from ISO download as well. :D 
May 30, 2010 8:11:14 PM

Crucial CT25664BA1339.16FF is approved, does yours have .16FF designator part number?
May 31, 2010 2:39:18 PM

soundguruman said:
Crucial CT25664BA1339.16FF is approved, does yours have .16FF designator part number?

sorry for the delay in my reply; I've been trying to slipstream spk 2 but the 3 discs so far only give a Code 5 when I attempt to boot
I did locate the XP Code 5 post on this forum but so far no change in results.
Crucial RAM has .16 SFD designator.
May 31, 2010 8:02:09 PM

I would look in the bios set-up and check if the hard drive file system is set to IDE. Some bios does not have this setting option. If it is set to IDE...
Then we could gather that you have a defective motherboard, processor, power supply, or that the RAM is installed in the wrong slots.
Although it may be inconvenient, it would be great to install this hardware in another computer and test it one piece at a time. But I think that you have done everything correctly, and you are fighting a bad piece of hardware.
May 31, 2010 9:57:32 PM

soundguruman said:
I would look in the bios set-up and check if the hard drive file system is set to IDE. Some bios does not have this setting option. If it is set to IDE...
Then we could gather that you have a defective motherboard, processor, power supply, or that the RAM is installed in the wrong slots.
Although it may be inconvenient, it would be great to install this hardware in another computer and test it one piece at a time. But I think that you have done everything correctly, and you are fighting a bad piece of hardware.

hanks for the information-
as an update: I followed the link for slipstreaming matching exactly, step by step including backdating to Creator 6 so I could make no mistake interpreting the screen shots.
Unfortunately, I still get Code 5 even when trying to boot from the older Intel computer.
Unless I am able to figure out an alternative, I will probably end up paying for XP Pro with sp2 - if I can find it.
June 1, 2010 12:27:19 AM

One additional, and happier footnote:
I returned to the
Cannot boot from CD Code: 5 XP SP2 Slipstream post and tried tinkerer's suggestion of Autostreamer.
Unlike Paul Thurrott's instructions for slipstreaming,
Autostreamer produced a bootable disc and my HDD on the new Intel MoBO is currently being formatted for use.
Unless something goes wrong, I hope to have a working machine by tomorrow.
Thanks to all for your assistance.
Special thanks to tinkerer for his earlier post. :hello: 

!