Picked up graphics card... to upgrade processor now or not? Help!

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I have Dell XPS system with a 2.8Ghz Pentium D and 7900GS. I picked up an 8800GTS 320mb for $100 brand new from my uncle who is closing his computer store. Do you guys think that upgrade was worth it? Is there a significant performance gain from the 7900GS 256mb to the eVGA 8800gts 320mb? Secondly, should I think about upgrading my CPU? The games I play are Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tournament 3. I can run TF2 at all settings max at 1440x900 which I play at and get very smooth gameplay. UT3, however, runs around 28-40FPS and dips into the teens when things are intense. I just want to run UT3 at a solid 40+ fps. Will the new card do that for me? It wont arrive for a couple days, so I'm not sure.

The thing is in order to upgrade my CPU, I will have to swap out the motherboard and the case which is BTX form factor because Im assuming Dell does this so you cant upgrade and have to buy a whole new system so they can rape your wallet. So I'm looking at getting the new cpu, motherboard, and case, which is around $400 all together I guessing. So..should I go ahead and just get all those things?

Also, would it be wise to wait a month or two before new processor chips come out and intel core 2 duo prices would go down or is that not happening?

I'm just kind of nervous spending that much money and maybe messing up in the assembly and destroying the parts. I have changed hard drives, graphics cards and such before but never installed a motherboard or CPU/heatsink. Am I just thinking this task is harder than it is?

Btw... I wouldn't mind processor/mobo recommendations if you guys do suggest that I get rid of my pentium D. preferably Intel processors.

thanks for all the help!

jbj190

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
The g80 8800gts is about 3x the speed of the 7900gs. What I did in your situation was to buy a new case and motherboard and slap the old CPU into the new setup and overclock it. If that's a Pentium D 9xx series, it will go up to 3.8ghz+ without difficulty which should tide you over.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I say overclock your CPU, get a new psu and install the video card already! That is a great deal for the card even though the G92 versions are out which are much faster than yours but for a 100 bucks it's a steal! Your fps will definitely be a stable 50+ or so, make sure to turn on all eye-candy :pt1cable: ! That system will last you until Nehalem comes out in a year or so, do a full-fledged upgrade then.