Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2008 5:40:43 PM

I am having a problem trying to eject the external hard drive from my Windows XP computer (computer's about 5 years old). I was able to access the documents on the ext. hard drive and work on them (Works documents), but then I can't eject it -- message says "cannot eject, try again later" -- something like that. We end up just pulling it out, but afraid this might ruin the hard drive. Is there something I can do to fix this? I am a novice at best with computers... should I call Western Digital and have them walk me through it, or is it something easy that I can just follow directions through this website. Curious if my computer is too old for the external hard drive device.

More about : external hard drive

a b G Storage
November 24, 2008 6:35:50 PM

Sounds like, for some reason, the computer still has files open on the drive. Could just be a directory. Safest is to close down the PC before pulling the drive out. Failing that, just logging off should close any open files.
November 24, 2008 11:42:01 PM

^agreed, it sounds like there is a file still open somewhere.
Related resources
November 25, 2008 5:46:43 PM

No, the files are all closed. It's like the computer just thinks there is a file still open. So, as long as the files are closed, I can just unplug the external hard drive without damaging anything? It would be nice if it would say that I can safely eject the hard drive now, but it keeps saying to try again later....?
November 25, 2008 5:49:51 PM

as long as nothing is being written to the drive at the moment you are disconecting the drive you should be alright.
November 25, 2008 6:02:40 PM

Okay, thanks for the info.
!