P5K-E power consumption?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows the ratings/data for power consumption for the P5K-E wireless motherboard.

As most know, Asus had a problem with heat and high power consumption when their P35 motherboards were launched. I am wondering if it is still an issue or if it's been fixed. I also would like to know the data or a comparison of this particular Asus board with the Abit and Gigabyte boards which have low power consumption. I googled, checked this board, tried to search the forums but I can't find any tests or mention of it. There are some reviews from the Tech sites but these are at least a year old when the Asus P35 boards were released. In addition, most of those reviews are testing the Deluxe version.

I'd probably be using the mb with a Q6600 cpu so I'd like a motherboard that isn't going to add any extra to the power consumption.

Thanks for any answers!

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
motherboards generally draw up to 30W, why would you worry about a mobo's power consumption? 700W power supplies are less than $100 nowadays, you shouldn't have to worry about power consumption unless you have tri-SLI and 18 harddrives.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Because it is a documented case in that power consumption levels and heat is a problem with early Asus P5K boards. Just google initial reviews and the board names mentioned in hardware forums.

Other reasons:
1) Asus already has several issues and problems with motherboards. I guess it excels in overclocking but that 'feature' cancels out with a series of other issues. Reviews showed the launch of the P5K Deluxe version to have considerable more heat production compared to other similar spec motherboards from Gigabyte and Abit, to name two others.
2) Asus has onboard sound issues as far as I know and I was concerned about the heat issue which is fundamentally worse (considering I would be using a Quad Core processor).
3) I have had two previous Asus motherboards and currently still own the two. One has onboard sound issues such as buzzing so if the P35 motherboards produce more heat than other boards, I'll finally go to a different brand/manufacturer.

I notice a lot of people viewed the post but only one replied. Either it still has the problem or few people know about it. One just has to google to realize it was an issue when they first came out.

I'm frustrated and annoyed at my socket 939 Asus motherboard onboard sound problem so I think I won't risk the heat issue with a P35 motherboard. I'll probably go with Abit or Gigabyte.