Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
My brother, who is in another state, is putting together a new computer. I'm going to help him through it when the parts arrive but do you know of any good videos that show how to install a CPU / Heatsink onto a motherboard and apply the arctic silver, etc? Preferably a stock AMD heatsink. Any videos would be a big help

(He's getting an ASUS Crossfire and an AMD 6400 X2, damn I'm jealous!!!)

With the stock heatsink there is no thermal paste needed, its already on the heatsink....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn14oA6Db4k

Just do not use your finger to hold it down while locking the lever....i do not know why they do that.....just drop it in....look make sure it fell in all the way and lock it....your fingers oils may interfere with the thermal performance of the system....

Youtube has LOTS of videos...

but there are instructions with the cpu anyway....and there are also Arctic silver instruction on there website....

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Sweet, thanks, that'll be helpful

Hmm, a bit quick on doing the retention clips though

you just line it up(Get the 2 lugs over).....then pull the lever over(this can take some force...this is what gives it good contact.) on new onces just pulling it is enough, on old ones there was a lock for the lever.... but in general they are all the same....