Difference between DDR2 and DDR3

sNaKeEe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
What is the difference between a pair of DDR2 - 1066 mHz compared to DDR3 - 1066 mHz ?? Other than the price :p?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
WIth a little luck you have lower latencies with DDR3 and the RAM needs less power. If that's worth five times the price of DDR2, well, that is your choice.

sailer

Splendid
CAS lantency should be higher with DDR3, just as DDR2 has a higher CAS latency than DDR. But the slower CAS latency is made up for by having a higher overall speed. Bandwidth is also increased with DDR3. From the last I read, DDR3 should be close to DDR2 pricing in 6-9 months. Further developement should also bring the CAS latency down with DDR3. Right now, unless a person has lots of money, and some people do, then its better to build using DDR2. Even Intel has recognized this by designing a X48 mobo that will use DDR2.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
latency x frequency equals bandwidth doesnt it? So higher speed will always counter lower timings to a extent. However like ddr and ddrII. DDRIII will drop in cas and other timings as it matures. Cas really isnt the most crucial timing anymore (since sdram ddrI days) there are tohers that can have influence on speed just as much. As frequency goes up cas becomes less critical.

Wait for ddrIII. If you buy the newest tech you always pay more and get way less. In a year youll get 2x the mb or more at higher speeds and better timings for same or less cost.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
What is the difference between a pair of DDR2 - 1066 mHz compared to DDR3 - 1066 mHz ??
Clock cycles to get things done.

The Corsair DDR1-400 ram I use has stock clock cycles of 2.2.2.5
The G.Skill DDR1-500 ram I use has stock clock cycles of 4.4.4.8

The Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 ram I just ordered for $29 per 2GB twinpac...?.?.?.12 and for it to do the same amount of work as my DDR1 Corsair would need clock cycle (at rated speed) of 4.4.4.10

Becuase of clock cycle vrs Mhz speed...my DDR1-500 G.Skill ram...OC'd even just to 260 Mhz with no cycle changes... out scores the fastest DDR2 sold for $600+ by Corsair or OCZ (which out scores the fastest DDR3) in Read/Write/Copy and cycles tests by far with all memory benchmarks.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I hope you did side by side testing not the synthetic comparison. Reason I say that is the benches under rate the real speed. A 4000+ with ddrII 800 scores higher then the one in the bench stats in everest. Thats just one example. You have to compair cpu architectures too. The diff in those make a BIG diff in ram speed. Like A64 vs Athlon. Latency is HALF on the a64. WHile the ram may have higher latency the mem controler will add some to it aswell.

Last I checked the fastest DDRII on A64 outperformed DDR. Now DDRII800 is pretty much = to ddr 400.

Are you saying your DDR500 beats this ram?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145171

thats oclockers and good for more then 1200 for most. Latency x freq = bandwidth. With over 2x the freq, it doesnt need as low of timings add to that the DDRII integrated mem controler which drops the latency ALOT on the controler. Id have to see a XP on DDR beat that setup with say a 3.2ghz or so A64.

No disrespect ment, just somethings you have to see to believe.

G

When is that not the case? You wait 2 years then you will be worrying about the next 2 year breakthrough

tiga354

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Everything you need to know is here:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/difference-ddr2-ddr3-ram-technology-explained/

G

You are 4 years late.