Files and Folders under XP Local Settings folder keep getting deleted

Something seems to be deleting files under Local Settings for only one user on my PC. I am running Windows XP Home Edition (SP2).

The original problem was I could not start Outlook and determined it was because the outlook.pst file was missing. I then found that all folders and files under C:\Documents and Settings\MY_USER_ACCOUNT\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft were gone. I was able to determine what all files from my system were missing through my incremental back ups and restore the missing files. The only files missing were under ...\Local Settings\... for my login account. The other 3 or 4 accounts my family uses were not affected. However, a couple of days later, the folders and files got deleted again. I have restored and lost the files 2 or 3 times now.

This does not appear to be a case of not checking the box in explorer to be able to view hidden files (appropriate boxes are checked). It seems like something running periodically is zapping the files but I have not been able to correlate the losses to anything yet. It seems like maybe some kind of virus but full system virus scans have found nothing.

Anyone got any ideas on this?
1 answer Last reply
More about files folders local settings folder deleted
  1. Will1234 said:
    Something seems to be deleting files under Local Settings for only one user on my PC. I am running Windows XP Home Edition (SP2).

The original problem was I could not start Outlook and determined it was because the outlook.pst file was missing. I then found that all folders and files under C:\Documents and Settings\MY_USER_ACCOUNT\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft were gone. I was able to determine what all files from my system were missing through my incremental back ups and restore the missing files. The only files missing were under ...\Local Settings\... for my login account. The other 3 or 4 accounts my family uses were not affected. However, a couple of days later, the folders and files got deleted again. I have restored and lost the files 2 or 3 times now.

This does not appear to be a case of not checking the box in explorer to be able to view hidden files (appropriate boxes are checked). It seems like something running periodically is zapping the files but I have not been able to correlate the losses to anything yet. It seems like maybe some kind of virus but full system virus scans have found nothing.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

The problem is caused by microsoft automatic updates. make sure you have a good security program installed and shut off automatic updates permanently. There have been many reports of updates causing havoc.
    With good non-microsoft security installed, there is no need for the updates.
    Once you shut off the updates you will get messages balloons that say: Your system may be at Risk! Turn on automatic updates!
    Install microsoft power toys Tweek IU, from the microsoft website.
    This allows turning off the bothersome message balloons.
    Once you shut off the updates, you will have no more surprises. Try it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP