Sign in with
Your question

How to take off motherboard

Last response: in Windows XP
May 29, 2010 11:30:10 PM

I want to take off my motherboard and clean the dust out of it with a air compresser. Can I do that? My fan is running so loud

More about : motherboard

a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2010 7:58:36 PM

jilleen40 said:
I want to take off my motherboard and clean the dust out of it with a air compresser. Can I do that? My fan is running so loud

yes you can do that, better with a clean brush and a vacuum, but what model and make computer is that? There are many specific tutorials for certain computers.
A heat sink clogged with dust and dirt will make the fan run faster, shorten the life of the CPU. It's a good idea to clean it out once a year.
June 6, 2010 3:43:58 PM

I have a Dell 3000. I'm not sure how to take off the motherboard.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 5:43:51 PM

Dell 3000 service manual
http://support.dell.com /support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/ index.htm
take out the spaces out of the above link before copy paste to browser
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 6:29:19 PM

jilleen40 said:
I have a Dell 3000. I'm not sure how to take off the motherboard.

It's not really necessary to take it out - I vacuum every machine that comes in here before returning it and it's quite adequate to do it in situ. When it comes to doing the heatsink fan, I gently poke it with a cotton bud to loosen the stuff that sticks to the top of the heatsink and vacuum as I go.

a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 6:54:12 PM

The manual shows how to take off the fan and heatsink, something that may be necessary to clean the heatsink when it's plugged up really bad.
Sometimes I do take the motherboard out, when there's a lot of dirt behind it. Sometimes I open the power supply and vacuum that out too. Just depends on how dirty it really is. Some of the units I clean are unbelievably dirty, like 2 pounds of dirt inside.
But a shop vacuum and brush will do more good than a can of compressed air.
!