red_onion

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
This is a tiny, silly thing, but I upgraded this week to an ASUS ASUS M2R32-MVP and can't get my power light to function. I like the little adapter that this motherboard came with that tells you where to plug all that stuff in, and then you plug the whole adapter into the mobo, but both when using the adapter and not using the adapter (i.e., plugging directly into the motherboard), the power light won't work. I'm sure I have it in the right place because there's really only one place for it, and everything else works correctly (HDD lights, etc.).

The only thing that occurs to me is that I'm repurposing an older case, and the Power LED connector from the case front seems to have a place for 3 prongs, while the motherboard only has two with a space between them.

Again, tiny and silly, but it's the only thing not working in this rebuild and it's bugging me. Is there an adapter I can buy, or is there supposed to be 3 prongs and the mobo is missing one?

Thanks as always.

pat

Expert
all you have to do is to carefully examine the conector. You will see, on one side, that a little tab can be gently pully to unlock the metal connector inside the connector. Using a needle, pull that tab (be carefull not to break it) and pull out the wire. then place it in the middle connector and push it in until you fell it clip.

Just make sure to remove the right wire as the polarity is important. I have to do that on many build I did, as some case came with 3 pins connector, other with 2. No big deal.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
its a LED backwards WONT hurt it, it just wont light. Thats how diodes work (high resistance to flow in one direction).

Check manual. It has the Front panel header wiring in it. Check the pins for the power led. Make sure they match the power led wires, dont worry if they are backwards first try, just flip it if it doesnt work.

red_onion

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Eureka! Thanks both: I had to move the wire out of the middle to the end, and when that didn't work, I had to switch them. Now I've got a nice green LED. Ah.

Thanks again.