Raid transfer to new mobo

deandownunder

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I have a raid10 setup with 4 WD Raptors on a Promise Fastrack TX4200 controller and my motherboard is showing signs of failure. I have purchased a new board AsusP5K-E ( and graphics card)and intend doing a Sysprep before switching boards. My question is as the P5K-E supports Raid 10 am I asking for trouble ditching the Promise card and running the Raid through the new board? I really did not want to do a fresh install. What else do I need to do before pulling everything apart? Thanks for any help.

slickjr169

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
If I recall correctly raids are only transferable if you are using the same exact raid controller, so unfortunatly if you plan on using the asus software raid your gona have to start from scratch. On the bright side if you use the controller card you should not have any problem relocating the array to another motherboard. In addition using the hardware raid on that card is gona be benificial to you versus the software raid on the motherboard.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I can't pull up specs on that particular RAID card because the Promise website seems to be down, but any dedicated RAID card should be superior to an onboard software solution. That aside, RAIDs tend not to be able to migrate unless you are using products in the same family. In the Tom's article about RAID migration only different versions of NForce and ICH could migrate RAIDs between their respective versions e.g. ICH7 <-> ICH9 or NF4 <-> NF6, etc.

-mcg