Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

System Re-install

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 30, 2010 3:29:06 AM

Hey guys. I had a virus downloaded onto my other computer that completely disabled everything just about. I couldn't open any programs or nothing. I did complete FDISK and formatting of my computer to remove the issue (which cost me alot of work cause the virus also managed to get into my external drive where all my work files are stored) but I ran into an issue Im unsure of. I use an Emachine computer and the only install disk I have is for a Dell. Will this cause problems for compatability and if so any idea where I can go for a free copy of windows XP?

More about : system install

May 30, 2010 4:07:12 AM

kragox said:
Hey guys. I had a virus downloaded onto my other computer that completely disabled everything just about. I couldn't open any programs or nothing. I did complete FDISK and formatting of my computer to remove the issue (which cost me alot of work cause the virus also managed to get into my external drive where all my work files are stored) but I ran into an issue Im unsure of. I use an Emachine computer and the only install disk I have is for a Dell. Will this cause problems for compatability and if so any idea where I can go for a free copy of windows XP?


No, it should be fine. But the DELL OEM windows disk won't have the emachines drivers or applications that the restore partition or cd have. But you will get a cleaner version of windows. It should be fine.
m
0
l
May 30, 2010 4:11:37 AM

FALC0N said:
No, it should be fine. But the DELL OEM windows disk won't have the emachines drivers or applications that the restore partition or cd have. But you will get a cleaner version of windows. It should be fine.

Alright, Im working on the install right now. If it works out good then I can just go online and probably grab any drivers I need for the emachine and work on a virus free comp and be more careful with what I do online.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 30, 2010 4:15:39 AM

kragox said:
Alright, Im working on the install right now. If it works out good then I can just go online and probably grab any drivers I need for the emachine and work on a virus free comp and be more careful with what I do online.


The drivers will not be specific to emachines. They will be video and chipset drivers from the manufacturer of the chips. For example, if you have a 780g chipset, you will need that driver from AMD. You could get them from Gateway also. Providing gateway posted them on their web site. The XP disk or windows update often has these drivers
m
0
l
May 30, 2010 5:00:59 AM

FALC0N said:
The drivers will not be specific to emachines. They will be video and chipset drivers from the manufacturer of the chips. For example, if you have a 780g chipset, you will need that driver from AMD. You could get them from Gateway also. Providing gateway posted them on their web site. The XP disk or windows update often has these drivers

Alright, install is done. I just need to find the network drivers and all that and to set up my wireless router so i can get on the net with that computer. What would be the quickest and simplest way to make sure that my systems are up to date on the most recent drivers for all my hardware?
m
0
l
May 30, 2010 6:05:43 AM

Alrighty. I should change my name to NOOBIFY cause I feel like a moron. Everythings installed via downloading onto my external harddrive that I had to wipe because of viruss....YAY, $1200 worth of work just flushed down the cyber drain! Anyway...what was I saying? Oh yeah. Only thing I couldnt find is my driver files because on my device manager it doesnt say what hardware it is for me to download the drivers, one of which is my network drivers that I need in order to access the net on that computer since it is done through a LAN network. Any help out there?
m
0
l
May 30, 2010 8:50:59 AM

kragox said:
Alrighty. I should change my name to NOOBIFY cause I feel like a moron. Everythings installed via downloading onto my external harddrive that I had to wipe because of viruss....YAY, $1200 worth of work just flushed down the cyber drain! Anyway...what was I saying? Oh yeah. Only thing I couldnt find is my driver files because on my device manager it doesnt say what hardware it is for me to download the drivers, one of which is my network drivers that I need in order to access the net on that computer since it is done through a LAN network. Any help out there?


Ok, you need the network driver? If its on the emachines site, using another computer of course, you can download it there.

If not, need to know more about your board. Exactly what model of emachines with specs? Some boards have the networking integrated with the board chipset. Others have a separate networking chip.
m
0
l
May 30, 2010 7:01:00 PM

Still missing drivers. I have an Emachine EL1300G model computer. The driver install didn't take completely or something. I still have 'Other PCI Bridge' under my device manager and also the VGA compatible video didn't work so I'm having graphic issues.
m
0
l

Best solution

May 30, 2010 7:26:23 PM

kragox said:
Still missing drivers. I have an Emachine EL1300G model computer. The driver install didn't take completely or something. I still have 'Other PCI Bridge' under my device manager and also the VGA compatible video didn't work so I'm having graphic issues.

Confirm that this is your system:

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=EL...

If it is, your system uses a Geforce 6150SE, and this should be your chipset driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_197.45_whql.htmlhttp:

If I remember correctly, the 6150SE has on chip Ethernet.
Share
May 30, 2010 8:54:03 PM

indeed it is and does. The problem i think Im running into but Im not sure because Im a computer nincumpoop is that it was originally installed with windows XP home with SP3 but I don't think the Dell version of XP home I installed has SP3 on it. Im not sure. Ill try this driver out.
m
0
l
June 1, 2010 6:43:42 PM

Got it fixed. Updating my system to the windows SP3 service pack fixed the missing driver files and installing the drivers from the NVIDIA website got everything rolling with my graphics engine. Thanks a ton for all who helped, you totally rock. 10/10 for support help.
m
0
l
June 1, 2010 6:44:17 PM

Best answer selected by kragox.
m
0
l
!