Sign in with
Your question

Can I update Bios Without A Floppy Drive?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 27, 2008 12:27:42 AM

Is there any way to do this with CD? I don't have a floppy drive.
January 27, 2008 12:46:07 AM

You can burn a CD as BOOT and set it as such in BIOS.
Some computer MB's will let you boot from USB.

Check you BIOS flashing program for options...use Google.
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 27, 2008 1:02:11 AM

I can flash my Gigabyte board from within Windoze. You may have that option as well.
Related resources
January 27, 2008 1:33:12 AM

Onus said:
I can flash my Gigabyte board from within Windoze. You may have that option as well.

Ah, thanks for that, I did a lil research and found out gigabyte has a @bios program to update through windows. Did that and I'm all up to date.
January 27, 2008 1:51:33 AM

You can if your motherboard allows it.
January 27, 2008 1:54:26 AM

Updating your BIOS in Windows is a ballsy move. Next time get a flash drive and use the Q-Flash utility in the BIOS.
January 27, 2008 1:55:21 AM

Zorg said:
Updating your BIOS in Windows is a ballsy move. Next time get a flash drive and use the Q-Flash utility in the BIOS.

Oh, is it? How so? Lol, good thing everything worked out fine.
January 27, 2008 2:29:42 AM

It's a ballsy move because it often fails and destroys the mobo. There are at least a half dozen threads about how windows was used and it corrupted the BIOS to the point of not POSTing. You got lucky, but you should probably continue to use the Windows Flash. That way you will be able to post your own thread, so that others may learn from your mistake.
January 27, 2008 2:35:02 AM

Zorg said:
It's a ballsy move because it often fails and destroys the mobo. There are at least a half dozen threads about how windows was used and it corrupted the BIOS to the point of not POSTing. You got lucky, but you should probably continue to use the Windows Flash. That way you will be able to post your own thread, so that others may learn from your mistake.

Are you kidding me? There's no reason to be hostile about this, someone replying to my thread said I could do it through windows so I looked to see how I could and I did. How would I even know to look for a thread about flashing bios from windows breaking mobos if I didn't know about it in the first place? I sure hope YOU do something stupid and break some part of your computer to make an example for others.
January 27, 2008 2:54:04 AM

My post was in response to your comment. I was trying to warn you, and I got the impression that you were dismissing the warning because it worked. Maybe I read it wrong, if so I apologize. At any rate, don't ever use Windows to update your BIOS. It can fail even using the Q-flash, you don't want to increase the risk by adding Windows to the mix. Thumb drives are extremely cheap and handy for other stuff as well.
January 27, 2008 2:58:08 AM

Zorg said:
My post was in response to your comment. I was trying to warn you, and I got the impression that you were dismissing the warning because it worked. Maybe I read it wrong, if so I apologize. At any rate, don't ever use Windows to update your BIOS. It can fail even using the Q-flash, you don't want to increase the risk by adding Windows to the mix. Thumb drives are extremely cheap and handy for other stuff as well.

I wasn't dismissing the warning, I was just glad that it worked even though there was a risk.
January 27, 2008 3:09:45 AM

Ok, then I apologize for the misunderstanding. I'm glad it worked as well. I'm sure you know that updating the BIOS is always a dicey thing to do, because of the potential for catastrophic failure. That's why they warn that you should only update your BIOS if the update fixes something or gives you additional features that you want/need. The Q-Flash is the simplest and cleanest way to do it, thereby minimizing the chance of failure.
January 27, 2008 3:12:27 AM

flashed atleast 50 times through windows on my own and pcs Ive worked on. Never been a issue for me. Only the biostar latest BAD bios was issue but that was bad in dos too. IMHO unless you have a unstable or way to far oclocked (unstable) system there isnt anymore risk than anyother time.

The bios is used at boot and not needed once windows takes over. So it can be flashed and verified in wondows no differently then in DOS really. If it failes you have the chance to flash again atleast with asus update. Not sure if this biostar one does. Either way boot blocker will give you more peace of mind-never buy a board without boot blocker AND a socketed bios for easy replacement as the chip itself can even go bad.
January 27, 2008 3:27:18 AM

Rock on.
!