Quick! Would RAIDing two SSDs improve performance?

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I need to know quick! My local computer parts wholesaler is having a big blowout on Friday (after Thanksgiving). Among the items or sale: 64GB (OCZ brand) SSD's for $99.99 and 128GB SSD's for $199.99. A deal too good to pass up.

Would I be better off RAID-0'ing two 64GB's SSD's together or buying one 128GB? Would RAID even improve the performance of an SSD drive or perhaps even hinder it?

Drives are SATA 2.5" drives.

Please reply quick. It's a one-day sale. Thx.

Don't touch mlc SSD's other than the intel x25-M.
The others have performance problems with random writes that make for many second delays. Anandtech had a good article about the problem.

For a properly working ssd, raid-0 is probably a good idea.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
From personal experience, the answer to your questions depends on a few variables.

For SSDs that use MLC storage, RAID-0 would help greatly. Putting them in RAID-0 resolves some of the write issues they have, especially with multiple files writing to the drive at one time.

For SSDs that use SLC storage, RAID-0 is not needed at all. I have 3 Samsung 64GB in my desktop and I was curious to that same question about RAID-0. I ran a benchmark with one drive and compared it to the benchmark with two of them in RAID-0. Much to my surprise, the SLC drives in RAID-0 did not improve at all. The performance was right on par with a single drive, even after multiple tests.

Good luck, hopefully that sale is for a SLC drive. That is one hell of a deal if that is the case!

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Thanks to everyone for the great replies.

According to the OCZ website, they are SLC drives, not the forewarned MLC.

"pbridgido" says RAID'ing them won't help, so I'll look into the single 128GB drive for $199.99.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.