Sign in with
Your question

Exclusive: AMD Radeon HD 3400 Series Coming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2008 6:15:42 PM

Our team in Taiwan has managed to obtain some additional information concerning the soon to be announced AMD Radeon 3400 HD product line. Read about it here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/03/amd_radeon_hd_3400_series_coming/index.html
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 3, 2008 6:56:14 PM

A 64bit buss? Hmmm, and people rag[ged] on the 7600GT for only being 128bit...

The half-height sounds like a custom job for those little Dell heater-boxes.
January 3, 2008 7:37:04 PM

what do you expect its probably going to end up as an oem card. or god forbid a competitor to the 8500gt.
Related resources
January 3, 2008 7:46:01 PM

64-bit bus? That has to be OEM.
January 3, 2008 7:55:12 PM

Ooh is this gonna be the 9600GT competitior?
January 3, 2008 8:08:33 PM

These are clearly not "Enthusiast Cards".

However, they should fit nicely into Retail systems with weak PSUs and limited cooling.

Combine this with the upcoming feature for AMD to combine the power of the built-in GPU with an add-on GPU and you get a mild uptick in performance.

Mind you, I don't see anyone who visits this site and designs a custom build to select one of these cards. However, the Millions who shop CirCuit City and BestBuy for their PCs, might have a nice little card to speed up solitaire.

If AMD can sell a large number of these, even at $2-$3 profit each, it can help their bottom line.
January 3, 2008 8:18:51 PM

for tge price ,one will replace my 7600gt in my htpc
January 3, 2008 8:45:37 PM

I guess AMD/ATI has given-up competing with NVidia.

(zenmaster) is right, if they sell a bunch of these cards as OEM to Dell/HP/etc... at a small markup, it'll help them i guess
January 3, 2008 9:09:14 PM

GoldenEye4ever said:

(zenmaster) is right, if they sell a bunch of these cards as OEM to Dell/HP/etc... at a small markup, it'll help them i guess

Who gave you that idea? It's just releasing a product to compete in the lower-end line, doesn't mean that they're not going to compete in the high-end.
January 3, 2008 9:39:10 PM

This suks, I haet it wen low ind prawducks have bad specs.
January 4, 2008 1:08:08 AM

So, any guesses if these cards(34X0) are meant to be crossfired with IGP of amd?? Are these cards going to be as good trick as 38X0 were??
If they give an ohk performance of DX10 @ around 70$ :D  I am all for it. Who is here looking forward to these cards??(8400 and 8500 disappoint me,hope these dont :p  )
January 4, 2008 1:29:40 AM

Oh, Looking at the specs, they are going to be real low end performance. I'm wagering 8400 level performance.

Definitely not Crysis Quality :>>

They will simply be very cheap options to toss into Retail systems without requiring the OEM builders to redesign the case for cooling or up the GPU. Meanwhile, not only will they be better than the integrated GPU, they will get to add the limited power of the integrated GPU.

For all of you WoW fans, it's likely a great setup.
For the folks buying $100+ cards, it's not your cup of tea.
If you are buying $200+ cards, it will be like cyanide in your veins :>
January 4, 2008 2:18:55 AM

Good for low end pc's that dont really need graphics but could run a game if it had to. Its nice to see them coming out with cards for all price ranges.
January 4, 2008 2:57:42 AM

LOL ppl are trashing the low end cards.

these will sell between 75-150$

if you want some performance "splurge" and get a 3850 for $ 170

for the price it will do whats it ment to do. Spread sheets and duel monitors.

Hate to break it to you but the "performance" GPU market is a VERY small market compared to the business gpu computer market.

and i would take this over integrated graphics ANY day.
January 4, 2008 3:19:20 AM

nightscope said:
Who gave you that idea? It's just releasing a product to compete in the lower-end line, doesn't mean that they're not going to compete in the high-end.

haha, the 3870 is the lower-end
January 4, 2008 3:57:42 AM

I think this is the stuff that gets readers upset. We get early information on card like the low end 3400, which theres nothing wrong with, but THG happens to be one of the last major hardware sites to review an 8800GTS (G92). So... I dont know what to say.
January 4, 2008 4:14:09 AM

The 2 pictures of the low-profile card with the full-height bracket are marked 3470 and 3450, but it looks like the back and front of the 3450. That's the only card that's supposed to be low-profile.
January 4, 2008 2:39:21 PM

nightscope said:

I just meant that AMD/ATI really needs to make some money, hopefully now they will.
January 4, 2008 3:25:42 PM

I'm shocked that the 3470 will come with GDDR3. I like how the 3450 is low profile, FINALLY a decent HD play back low-profile card for my other system. I'm snatchin' one up.
January 4, 2008 6:18:09 PM

Hmm. Looks like it could be a pretty decent HTPC card. I have been meaning to build one of those... Let us pray that it is in the sub $100 range.
January 5, 2008 5:27:44 PM

IT IS SUB 100$

HD3450 WILL BE ~50$
HD3470 ~70$
January 5, 2008 5:45:12 PM

cruiseoveride said:
haha, the 3850 is the lower-end

fixt
January 8, 2008 12:35:09 AM

I mind 3470 could outperform 8500gt and 3450 > 8400gs.
40 SPUs x 16 from nvidia it will be placed in the middle of 8500 and 8600.

January 8, 2008 1:48:14 AM

uhm, no 3850 is not lower-end, its lower mid-level, while 3870 is mainstream mid-level, and 8800GT is upper mid-level, 2600xt/pro and 8600GTS/GT are lower end cards...
January 8, 2008 8:35:28 AM

justinmcg67 said:
I'm shocked that the 3470 will come with GDDR3. I like how the 3450 is low profile, FINALLY a decent HD play back low-profile card for my other system. I'm snatchin' one up.

I was planning on doing an HTPC with an X2 3800+ and one of our ASUS 690G boards, but transferring that X2 3800+ to a hybrid Crossfire 780G board with a 3450 sounds better for HTPC.

My only complaint about hybrid Crossfire is that it won't work with higher end cards, like the 3850 or the upcoming 3650's and 3670's; only with the 3450 and 3470. It also won't have the initial energy features promised by AMD.

It makes a bit more sense to just put Phenom's in the 690G boards with 3850's. I could even replace my kid's Nvidia 6100 405 chipset board with 3470 in hybrid Crossfire in March, the X2 4600+ is still good to go in his system, though I'm tempted to go Phenom 2.3 for all three PC's so I can benchmark the best hybrid Crossfire configuration against a single 3850.

a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2008 2:53:48 PM

Yeah the HD34xx series never seemed geared towards heavy gaming, it's obviously a an HTPC and "Office Box" candidate for primarily 2D and HD acceleration with mild 3D performance.

Low profile and passive cooling and you have an enormous market for that which will likely be a very profitable card.

For a 2D editing workstation I can't think of a better card (this will likely also be the platform from which they make their next FireMV cards IMO).

And if you were to use the whole CrossfireX Hybrid SLi concept for the energy saving, then this would be a companion to the heavy lifting gaming card, where this does your office apps and browsing, while another card does the gaming.

Still would prefer just a more efficient card more able to disable functional units on the fly, but at least both companies can pretend they're doing something about the high power consuming card situation (by having you spend more money and buy a 2nd card :heink:  ).
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2008 12:20:20 AM

Might not be geared toward gaming, but I sure can see it as the base card offered in dell's ubber gaming XPS line. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2008 10:17:11 PM

True enough on that, and knowin them it would be an SE model whatever the new number is equivalent to 3401 maybe? :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2008 12:06:17 AM

LOL, yup. Good ole Dell Super Editions.
January 18, 2008 5:29:45 PM

I always get confused when I see people whining about non high-end cards... I mean, some of you enthusiasts *DO* recognize that we're a very select few, no?

To my eyes, The HD 3400 series seems to have a very large audience ready for it. Namely, I see it covering three main things:

• HD content. Previously, as I recall, the Radeon HD 2600 series was what you had to take for H.264 & HDCP support. The fct that this runs with less power, AND also (3450) is available as a low-profile card will make this an excellent choice for HTPCs.
  • Multi-Monitor Support. Historically, this has always been the domain of low-end cards; those looking for this generally just need more real estate for their 2D apps, so they needn't pay more for stuff that won't do THEM any more good.
  • Low-intensity games. Zenmaster was right here: this will be a killer card for those ~9 million subscribers to World of WarCraft. I think that the gamers among us (almost all of us) are forgetting that out favored titles like Crysis, World in Conflict, and Unreal Tournament III make up a very, VERY small portion of the gaming market; you could add together the sales of those games, and it wouldn't even come CLOSE to the number of people that log into WoW every month.

I'm sure that for the above markets, the ability to get enough power and features to do what they want perfectly, for well under $100US, would be a godsend.
    GoldenEye4ever said:

Oh no, they dare make a non-top-of-the-line card! Obviously, this must mean that nVidia gave up against competing long ago in 2004, when they produced the GeForce 6600GT, which if memory serves, still is their best-retail-selling card in history.

GoldenEye4ever said:
    I just meant that AMD/ATI really needs to make some money, hopefully now they will.

You act like they aren't making money off of the console market, what with >10 million Xenos GPUs and Hollywood GPUs... :p 
    a b U Graphics card
    January 18, 2008 7:39:46 PM

The 6600GT outsold the GF2 MX and ti4200? That surprises me bigtime.
    January 18, 2008 8:16:27 PM

pauldh said:
    The 6600GT outsold the GF2 MX and ti4200? That surprises me bigtime.

I was fairly certain it surpassed the Ti 4200, if only by a small margin, and largely due, perhaps, to increases in overall market size.

As for the GeForce 2 MX? Remember that there were three different models, and as I recall, at least one of them was OEM-only... I did take care to insert the word "retail" in there. :p 

Though in all honesty, both of those cards (well, the Ti 4200 to a lesser degree) would back up the exact same point.

a b U Graphics card
    January 18, 2008 8:35:38 PM

That's pretty amazing and quite interesting. I'd like to read more about sales #'s. Market size would make sense then.

I must have bought 30-Ti4200's myself. Guess I am biased toward them. And yeah, I was refering to the original MX not the mx200 or mx400. Still never would have guessed the 6600GT was the top seller.

a b U Graphics card
    January 18, 2008 9:00:18 PM

zenmaster said:

However, they should fit nicely into Retail systems with weak PSUs and limited cooling.

Combine this with the upcoming feature for AMD to combine the power of the built-in GPU with an add-on GPU and you get a mild uptick in performance.

Mind you, I don't see anyone who visits this site and designs a custom build to select one of these cards. However, the Millions who shop CirCuit City and BestBuy for their PCs, might have a nice little card to speed up solitaire.

If AMD can sell a large number of these, even at $2-$3 profit each, it can help their bottom line.

Agreed. But someone could use it as a placeholder graphics card until they can upgrade. (I have a 8400GS [@690/500] on a box, and waiting for dual GPU cards ;)  )
    January 18, 2008 9:33:24 PM

It is definitly geared to the just better than the IGP crowd but at the same time it probably makes a killer HTPC for BluRay and HDDVD playback. No need for more than a 64bit mem buss for that.

I would think this card would be great for purely WoW and older games as well as anyone wanting a little HDMI setup for an HTPC. You cant go wrong for only $50
    January 20, 2008 6:25:54 PM

teh_boxzor said:
    what do you expect its probably going to end up as an oem card. or god forbid a competitor to the 8500gt.

Here is what it's perfect for:

Phenom 9000 65watt 1.8 gigahertz
    Antec True Power 500 watt tier 3 PSU
    RS780G hybrid Crossfire board
    2 gigs Kingston DDR2 800
    ATI 3450
    TV Wonder 650
    750 gig Seagate
    Bluray drive
    DVD-R+/RW

zenmaster said:

Mind you, I don't see anyone who visits this site and designs a custom build to select one of these cards.

The 3450 is a perfect for an HTPC.

I was going to do a similar configuration with a legacy X2 3800+ on a 690G board using only the 4 pixel pipeline integrated video, but a low power Phenom with a low cost card and a hybrid Crossfire board will be even better.

Similar new HTPC configurations can be done with the 8400 and a hybrid SLI board. The day is coming when a low end card never needs to be lonely again! :) 
    January 20, 2008 10:23:50 PM

I think the low-profile 3450 is a product with a very sizeable potential market.
    While it's clearly not a gaming card, that doesn't mean it's useless.

Have you see the prices/selection in the half-height market? I'm surprised it's taken this long for a serious product in a mkt with no sensibly priced modern cards.

For example, I noticed Dell sells a HD2400Pro for $150.

This site appears to sell a variety of half-height cards for optimistic prices;
    http://www.computercare.cc/osc/catalog/index.php?cPath=...

Surely the HD3450 for $50 is a much more sensible purchase if you have a low-profile case?
    January 23, 2008 1:46:03 AM

nottheking said:
    Obviously, this must mean that nVidia gave up against competing long ago in 2004, when they produced the GeForce 6600GT, which if memory serves, still is their best-retail-selling card in history.

If a low end card means giving up on the high end market, then that's what Nvidia did with the FX5200! Me, I still like the midrange market, so I'll get this for our two PC's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When I do build an HTPC, then it will be with a 3470 (just read about those), a TV Wonder 650 and a Phenom 9000. I can wait.

a c 376 U Graphics card
    March 10, 2010 3:58:23 PM

This thread is over 2 years old and is about cards which weren't even intended for gaming when they were released... Are you just looking for something to complain about?
    March 10, 2010 5:20:11 PM

LMAO!
    April 26, 2010 5:51:01 PM

dude this thread is 2 years old >.<
    a b U Graphics card
    April 26, 2010 6:02:14 PM

I smell troll... Ban hammer!
    !