RAW file system for partitions and usb drive

stuartmcalpine

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hello,

My Vista PC shut down on me recently and when I restarted it said I needed to do a system repair. I done this and now Vista is working, but it is saying my D: and F: partitions are RAW. Previously they were NTFS and FAT and both hold documents.

I followed the instruction to export, delete and rebuild the boot sector here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392. Still, the are RAW.

I then downloaded TestDisk and put it to a USB stick to try and recover the data, but when I insert the USB drive it is also saying that the USB drive is RAW.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on or how I might be able to diagnose the problem? The partitions have important data on there that isn't backed up as I was working on it the day of the fault.

(The kick in the nuts is that I created the partitions so that I could keep the data if there was an OS error and I needed to reformat C:!)

Cheers,

Stuart

stuartmcalpine

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Cheers chookman,

I'll try that tomorrow. For now I have put the drive in a usb enclosure and plugged it in another laptop. All partitions are recognised up fine so I'm getting the data off while I can then I'll have a look at what I can do.

pisl2

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Usually disks have FAT or NTFS as its property and RAW as its name is not explored.

There are information about raw problem or disk report RAW in file system

You can learn what the raw error and what you should do with your RAW drive.

The thread is pretty old and if you did not fix the error here are some advice:

To format it if you don't mind the old data, you can use TestDisk or use Disk Management and then click format.

You will be able to select NTFS or FAT when deciding the property of your drive.

Good luck.

My first post here. Hope it works for you.

johnmillins

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Thanks for the guide. I did restore my photos off the external drive F that has report RAW and not formatted error. I use Google and then find this page and then find this solution that worked for me.

smartjohnny

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

You should try free Data Recovery , which I have personally applied to restore my data from the RAW drive. The result shows that it is really a free and efficient recovery tool unlike other expensive and depressing ones.