DDR2 PC8500 (1066 MHZ) Memory + P5B-E = issues

whallenich

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
I’m wondering if you can help me with the following memory problem.
I just installed a 2 GB kit (2 x 1GB) of Kingston Hyper X PC8500 (1066 MHZ) DD2 RAM (KHX8500D2K2/2G) on my Asus P5B-E motherboard.
I went into the BIOS and manually entered the speed (1066 MHZ) and timing (5-5-5-15) consistent with the memory specifications sheet. However I went to change the voltage to 2.2 (which is what the specifications sheet states is required) but the closest options in the BIOS are 2.15 v or 2.25. I wonder if this is a BIOS quirk – it seems quite odd.
I tried running the memory on 2.25 v but experienced instability – the PC would sporadically reboot while in a game or in windows. This seems to be a PSU related problem, perhaps a lack of power? Is it possible I was pumping too much power into my memory for my 650 w PSU to handle? What else would explain the random restarting?
I haven’t tried 2.15 v but suspect this will be under powering the memory and consequently I won’t post and/or make it to windows. The PC wouldn’t post when I set the memory voltage to auto.
In the end I gave up and opted for setting the memory at 5-5-5-15 timing at 899 MHZ at 2 v. The memory works well at these settings.
As well as the above questions, obviously I’d like to get the memory working at full functionality. Any ideas?
Do I need to upgrade my PSU, is my Asus P5B-E simply inadequate for the task, or is there some quirk in the BIOS that I can manipulate to get the memory going?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'd start with setting the voltage to 2.15, I would guess they do this because there is always some variation in the voltage. Unless the PSU is bad or you have a short, e..g, don't have the precise number of standoffs, it should handles your set up

master0fpuppets

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Set the memory voltage to 'Auto' if it's got that setting - the ram itself will pull the voltage it needs, at least that's my experience with that specific memory and running it at 1066. My machine is completely stable with 8GB of Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066.
Also, since you're only using two sticks, but might have 4 slots, make sure the two sticks are in the same colored slots (or right next to each other but not in the 'middle') to run at 1066.

LEROy224

Honorable
May 26, 2012

Do you have an ASUS Motherboard? What settings (Voltages) do you use in your BIOS to run 8GB of Kingston HyperX DDR2@1066? I have the same memory on a Asus P5B and I cannot get it running at 1066! Any help would be great as I have to keep resetting the CMOS when I try to O.C in the BIOS!

master0fpuppets

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Yes, at that time I had an ASUS M4N78-Pro. This answer is probably a few years too late, but that specific memory needs to be run _dual-channel_ to run at 1066. You also need to set it specifically to that speed as well. The default stock voltage on this memory is 2.3, and I don't think I needed to edit mine to have it run stable at 1066... it just HAS to be ran dual-channel. If you're not familiar with that, I'd suggest a little more research before you attempt getting it running again. Then again, you've probably been through 4 machines since your last post ;)