Problems Installing Vista on an SATA Hard Drive

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I finally got all my parts and put everything together and everything seemed fine until I tried to install Vista Home Premium (64). For some reason it won't recognize my SATA hard drive and keeps asking me for a driver.

I guess my first question is, I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and don't really know if my SATA cables for my optical and hard drives are supposed to go in the orange SATA slots or the purple one? Does it matter and if they go in the orange one, should both be in the same plug?

Secondly, where do I get this driver to be able to get Vista installed? I found this http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2465 and downloaded the second one down under "SATA RAID" and saved it to a floppy disk. The motherboard manual also said I could get the drivers from the disk that came with the motherboard. I downloaded those but they didn't work.

I didn't mess with the jumper on the back of the hard drive because I didn't think you had to with SATA. Am I wrong?

Is there anything specific in BIOS I need to change to get my hard drive to be recognized?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
28 views and no one has an idea? I did some other research which says I shouldn't need to install a driver if I'm using the orange SATA ports. I've moved the hard drive to the SATA0 port but it's still not being recognized (even by BIOS).

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
First off is the drive detected in the BIOS...

If it is make sure that the RAID controller is either off OR there is a BIOS setting that makes the OS think the drive is on an IDE channel which is also what you could change.

I would say more than likley though if the driver didnt work that the drive isnt detected in the BIOS in which case you have other problems to take care of first.

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks guys. You answered two of the main questions I had. At least I know I've got it plugged into the right SATA plug (the orange one) and I shouldn't need to install a driver. My motherboard is a rev.1. I'm assuming even with this older rev board I STILL shouldn't need to install a driver. I'm beginning to think I've got a bad drive because I've got both plugs plugged in. Maybe I'll swap out SATA cables and see if that helps.

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006

No, the drive is not detected in BIOS. However, my SATA optical drive is detected. On a wim, I plugged in one of my old IDE hard drives and BIOS detected it. Even worse news is I bought this drive a year ago but never tested it until now (when I finally got the rest of my parts purchased) so I guess I can forget returning it to Newegg. I suppose I can return it to Seagate but I think I'm going to go out and buy a cheap SATA drive and see if it will get detected. If it does, I'll assume the Seagate is bad. If the new drive is not detected, I must still be doing something wrong.

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
If you've got access to another system that has SATA ports on the MB then you could try hooking the drives up to it to see if the BIOS on that system will recognized them.

Also, you won't need to set any jumpers on the HDD unless you're hooking it up to a system that'll only take SATA1 HDDs and you need to force it into 150MB/s mode. So no jumpers need to be set in this case.

Latest posts