Sign in with
Your question

My PC shuts down when i restart

Last response: in Windows XP
May 30, 2010 11:57:22 AM

Hello, friends. I had a problem with my pc for a while and i can't find any solution on the i-net. My problem is that when i restart my pc, it turns off for about 3-5 seconds then delay 2-3 sec and bios starts, then the os. The question is why it shuts down when i restart my pc. I'm not overclocker, and this problem came recently. Help. How can I fix that?

I'm using XP Sp3, but with sp2 I had this problem too.

More about : shuts restart

May 30, 2010 4:40:36 PM

combine said:
Hello, friends. I had a problem with my pc for a while and i can't find any solution on the i-net. My problem is that when i restart my pc, it turns off for about 3-5 seconds then delay 2-3 sec and bios starts, then the os. The question is why it shuts down when i restart my pc. I'm not overclocker, and this problem came recently. Help. How can I fix that?

I'm using XP Sp3, but with sp2 I had this problem too.

you can use system restore to set the system back to the time before the problem started.
Most likely an automatic MS update has changed the settings of the computer, or corrupted the system files. This happens quite often. From what you describe, it's not a virus.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says: restore my system to an earlier date
click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started
click next
follow directions to restore system
System restore does not affect your personal files, and is reversible, you can go forward or back at any time.
It merely removes the offending changes to the software and system files of the computer.
when restore has completed, restart computer
if problem was not fixed, if system would not restore, repeat above using an even earlier date
system will be set back to a time before the MS update corrupted the settings or system files.
May 31, 2010 6:00:53 AM

For some time, maybe half a year, I reinstalled XP many times. Two days ago I put XP sp3, and when i enter system restore there are no recent points but only two or three days. Always may update center is stopped, but i put sp3 OS -released October 2009.
Related resources
May 31, 2010 6:32:31 AM

Then what you need to do is back up all your personal files and reformat the drive and do a fresh install of the operating system.
But I am not sure that you really have a problem. When you restart the computer it's supposed to shut off, then delay, then start the operating system. You really have not said anything that indicates a problem. It's supposed to shut down for a few seconds when you restart it.
If you installed SP3 a few days ago, there would not be restore points, that's normal too.
So maybe you think there's something wrong, and there's really nothing wrong.
June 2, 2010 4:46:58 AM

Hello Combine

What do you expect to have when you restart your PC ? The information in your thread are exactly what your system is supposed to do after restarting.
June 2, 2010 1:14:22 PM

Hi :)  , I work with computers and this one behave like that. When I restart my pc I expect the computer not to turn off and then check the bios tests (because sometimes waiting is very annoying). I thing it shouldn't turn off. Now is like that. Restart -> 2 sec nothing happens (black screen) -> pc shuts down -> 1-2 sec again nothing happen *-> bios test hardware -> post test or something -> windows logo screen begins to load.
Most interesting is that under linux this also happens when I restart.
June 2, 2010 1:49:32 PM

Hi Combine

You have mentioned in your thread the followings:

Now is like that. Restart -> 2 sec nothing happens (black screen) -> pc shuts down -> 1-2 sec again nothing happen *->

I think up to this point everything is normal. Your computer didn't shut down. If it shut down you have to switch it on again to restart. It's normal to take few seconds for this process.

*-> bios test hardware -> post test or something -> This option can be disable from the bios itself. Run bios setup and locate the option to skip the bios test.

Good Luck

June 2, 2010 2:04:08 PM

Thanks people :)  Maybe my MB is that type of processing.
Anonymous
February 22, 2013 3:44:37 PM

In order to fix this, disable the "Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x)" or "AMD Virtualization (AMD-V)" from BIOS.
I have the same issue, when that feature is enabled and i click restart, it first shutdowns the PC and then it finally restarts..
!