Problem booting SATA DVD on GA-P35-DS3L

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
There is no choice for SATA in the BIOS boot order. There is a choice for CDROM, but no matter how I set the boot order, even if I set them all to CDROM, it always boots from the HD. My system is all SATA (no IDE HDs or DVDs)..........Any ideas?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Is the DVD actually recognized in the BIOS? Check all the BIOS settings for your drives. Boot order should be DVD, hdd with OS, and then the rest.

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Thanks g-paw.
Solved it thanks to Roadrunner in DVD section........He got me thinking and I realized that on the GA-P35-DS3L only the SATA 0/1 connector is capable of booting from SATA. Swapped cables around and booted from DVD.

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Hey I think I might have a similar problem. This is my first post on Toms and didn't know where else to turn to. Been trying to fix this 24/7 for the past few days.

I got a ga-p35-ds3l with e6550.
2 SATA HD, 1 that has XP (I wanna install vista now)
2 ATA HD, 1 Hooked up. until i get the IDE cable with the xtra connector
1 pioneer dvr-111d.

I set one of the SATA to first disk boot priority but set the cd-rom as first boot device. I put vista in but it won't boot. I'm not sure if its bios settings or something but I've just been frustrated lately because I've tried everything.

Further info: I've set the IDE HD as master and the cd-rom as slave. So jumper settings are right. If i disconnect the IDE HD and the sata without OS on it, then it always gives me disk boot failure when i try to boot disc in cd-rom.

However If i connect everything together then sometimes it will load to desktop but whenever I use it, it will randomly blank screen and cpu usage will strike for no reason.

Drive is not faulty because I tried with a different cd-drive. same errors. Not faulty HDs either because I've tried to set other HDs as first priority so maybe I can install OS to there. Still no luck.

Really need and will appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Suggest you create a new post, will get better responses. Post which drive the OS is on. The above sounds like you disconnecting the hdd with the OS on it

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

That's worth knowing, thanks for the info.