kingfet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Alright, So i purchased a Blu Ray Drive, Model number GGC-H20N made by LG. The problem I have is that I bought it used, and do not have the original driver/firmware cd. I downloaded the firmware update from LG's website, but when I hook up the drive and go to update it using the firmware installer it tells me that it cannot find the drive. I attribute this to the fact that these seem like firmware updates and possibly not the initial.

All I want to do is watch blu ray movies with this drive no burning or such. I downloaded a nero diagnostic tool which said that I would be able to watch blu rays with it, and my computer is certainly fast enough (phenom x4 9550, 8 gigs ram, 8800gt), but I do not want to purchase a blu ray only to find out it wont work because of wrong firmware.

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to optical drives, so I turn myself over to you. What should I do? Can anyone think of a reason as to why it wont let me update the firmware? Do you think it will just work plug play? Any suggestions at all?

Thank you in advance.

kingfet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Well no known problems, but I do not think it has drivers perse. I have just heard that blu ray dvds can be picky about firmware version is this true?

becks10

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I had this problem as well except I have a GGW-H20L. I tried to play a blue ray disc and nothing happend. I though updating the drivers would help but I can only find firmware updates. I'm interested to find an answer to this problem aswell, cause right now this blue-ray drive doesn't play blue rays lol.

First question, Have you run the cyberlink's "advisor" Program and received all "Green Lights"?

Next question, Are you using XP, vista 32 bit, or are you using 64 bit version (Not that i would be much help on 64 bit).

Remember, BOTH graphics cards and Monitor must be HDCP enabled.
Ref: worked in vista not XP: only solution I have found sofar is to use a VGA cable (NOT acceptable), or use AnyDVD w/HD plug in ( cost money and adds another program layer). Plus anydvd does not work on all BLU-ray disk.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=247712&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

G

if you dont have an hdcp compatible screen of gfx card there is a program called ANYDVD that removes the hdcp and copy protection of blu-rays and allows you to watch them over a vga cable on non hdcp compatible setups.