Odd ram issue. 2 sticks = bad, 1 stick = ok

localrob2

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2005
I started having an issue a couple months ago with BF2. I was getting graphical artifacts. I replaced the video card and that didn't work. I got a new psu, that didn't work. I have 2 sticks of 512mb DDR400. I've run memtest, windows memtest, and nvidia's stability test. No errors, well except on the nvidia. 2 or 3 times when I have run the full system test it would crash with a can't read reference 0x00730079.
So to isolate the problem I removed one stick at a time and ran all the test. No errors at all. In fact, BF2 runs with no artifacts, and HL2 now runs(which previously couldn't get to the main menu). With either stick individually everything runs fine, but together I have graphics problems.
Could this be a problem with my motherboard? I have run the msi live update, and there is an update for my bios, but I feel like that's last resort. Video drivers are up to date.
I'm considering buying a new 1gb stick and sending the two old ones to corsair for testing, but if it's a problem with my motherboard, I'd rather spend that $60 on new mobo and newer ram.

here are my specs
mobo: MSI K8N Neo4, nForce4 chipset
ram: 2x512mb corsair valueselect ddr400
cpu: Athlon 64 3200+
video: geforce 8600gt
psu: thermaltake 500w

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
You should ask here since its corair ram
http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/index.php

that way they know what you tried and if thier ideas wont work you can ask for a rma. Id say if it ran at 2.5v before it should now. However ask ramguy for some help and if he tells you to bump the volts then do it.

Also have you tried them in Single channel mode yet.

localrob2

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2005
I've tried switching them around, I believe I tried them in single channel, but I'll try again. I will also post this at the corsair forums.
Thanks for all the suggestions.