Sign in with
Your question

Lots of BSoD's after new build! Please help!!!

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2007 10:15:20 AM

Hiya guys, this is starting to drive me crazy so thought I'd ask here for some help.

Basically I've build a new system (see sig) and have installed a fresh copy of Vista Home Premium but keep being plagued by BSoD's. They flash up too fast for me to read them properly which doesn't help so basically my first question is, does Vista store the blue screen error messages anywhere?

I installed the hardware fine and loaded the motherboard with all the latest drivers from the Gigabyte website so that should be fine right? I'm also using the latest drivers for my 8800GT so that should be fine. Can't really seem to work it out. I ran memtest for about 4-5 hours and that didn't bring back any errors. I'm starting to think that there may be some dodgy hardware somewhere but need to rule out a driver issue first.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

More about : lots bsod build

December 27, 2007 10:17:18 AM

Mmm...sig not displaying properly:

Rig:-
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3 Motherboard (rev 1.0)
Core2Duo E6600
Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300/667
WD 500G SATA2 WD5000AAKS HDD
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB Superclocked "Crysis Edition"
Related resources
December 27, 2007 10:39:10 AM

If memtest didn't show any errors, try dual boot and install XP sp2. Try working with it a while, see if XP crashes.

Try flashing the motherboard BIOS.

Not enough power? That PSU should be fine...
December 27, 2007 11:12:29 AM

In System Properties you can disable the automatic reboot of BSOD errors, create a dumpfile, and I would check to see if anything shows up in the Event Viewer. You should also do a surface-scan of your HDD for bad sectors. If you can readily recreate the BSOD then you should be able to pinpoint what's causing it by using process of elimination on your hardware. Start out by taking out anything you don't absolutely need to run the PC such as any extra HDDs, CD drives, RAM (all but one stick), sound card (disable onboard sound via BIOS), any other PCI/PCI-E adaptors, and see if you can recreate the BSOD. If so, then swap out the RAM and try again. If so, then the problem could be processor, motherboard, or power related.

If you find that you cannot recreate the BSOD after removing parts, then put them back in one by one and see if you can recreate BSOD. When it fails, you most likely found the problem. After you found the failed part, I would test that part individually in a friend's computer or using a benchmark that focuses on that one part just to be more certain. Memtest tests RAM, Prime95 can test both RAM and CPU, 3DMark tests video mostly (there are some CPU benchmarks in 3DMark), and I would use Sandra to further stress individual parts.

About drivers, if you're updated on everything then you should be fine there. You may want to Google your motherboard with BSOD and see what comes up too such as "GS-965P-DQ6 BSOD" or add the error to it like "GS-965P-DQ6 nvdisp.dll BSOD".

Good luck m8
December 27, 2007 11:35:32 AM

Start with opening the Reliability and Performance Monitor, just plug it in the Vista search. Then I would check the event viewer. Between the two you should have a good idea what's causing the problem.

Dump files are often way too much work, start with easy stuff you'll discover the problem that way 99% of the time.
December 27, 2007 11:47:28 AM

"Start with opening the Reliability and Performance Monitor"

But don't you think Performance Monitor would be unviewable when BSOD shows up thus making it completely pointless? Or does that create a log file of its own as well? I've seen a million BSODs where a 3rd party log isn't created at all (Event Viewer for example), only a dump.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2007 11:49:33 AM

Did you set the memory voltage to the correct voltage?
December 27, 2007 12:13:17 PM

evongugg said:
Did you set the memory voltage to the correct voltage?

I haven't fiddled with the voltages at all. So it can't be that.
December 27, 2007 12:13:57 PM

I'll try these tests tonight and see how I get on.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2007 12:16:50 PM

You need to set the memory voltage to 2.2v or plus 0.4v in the bios, depending on the model of your memory.
December 27, 2007 12:24:28 PM

Evon - Curious why 2.2v - That's DDR2 1066 voltage. His post above says Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300/667. That should be about 1.8v.
December 27, 2007 12:30:46 PM

I think since his memtest was successful that it's probably not memory :-/
December 27, 2007 2:09:28 PM

Thanks - Strange you would need to run 667 stuff on that much voltage, though...
December 27, 2007 2:41:15 PM

Just curious, what are you doing when it crashes? Are you surfing the web or playing games?
December 27, 2007 3:09:01 PM

leo2kp said:
"Start with opening the Reliability and Performance Monitor"

But don't you think Performance Monitor would be unviewable when BSOD shows up thus making it completely pointless? Or does that create a log file of its own as well? I've seen a million BSODs where a 3rd party log isn't created at all (Event Viewer for example), only a dump.

One of the better hard to find features in Vista. Everything is in there, errors what you installed so on what day ect.

December 27, 2007 3:52:01 PM

bydesign said:
One of the better hard to find features in Vista. Everything is in there, errors what you installed so on what day ect.

Sure but some BSOD errors will be so fast at disabling your PC that it won't allow a log to be written. I don't doubt that it's a useful tool, but I'm skeptical as to weather or not it's capable of capturing a BSOD since most BSOD errors aren't even recorded in Event Viewer.
December 30, 2007 11:46:55 AM

Right, sorry it's taken me a while to get back. Lots of stuff to do.

Had another BSoD today. Basically I've reinstalled Vista and updated all the drivers so everything is fresh and up to date. I had a quick game on Crysis to monitor temps and look for instability but couldn't find any. Didn't really play for long though. I then exited Crysis as I realise I hadn't updated my mouse drivers (Logitech MX700) and whilst doing that I had a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSoD. Any ideas?

I'll continue to look for more BSoDs.

December 30, 2007 12:23:40 PM

Just had another one. Was uninstalling my mouseware drivers (so I could update them) and had to reboot. Just as windows was about to restart (heard the startup chimes) a BSoD hit saying MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Looking to me like its a memory problem. Although this doesn't really make sense as I ran memtest for like 4 hours with no errors!? Could it be the video RAM?
!