Severe Bottleneck?

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2008 10:30:29 PM

Here are my specs:

AMD 2300 BE Dual core
2 Gigs ram
380 Watt PSU
7950 GX2

Now when i was using integrated graphics i got 7-15 FPS, now i am using the 7950 GX2 and get 7-15 FPS, My gaming graphics score on windows experience is 3.4 and my CPU is 4.7. I must note that I do not have the extra power connector in the graphics card and i think that both GPU's are running. Is the CPU a bottleneck? Is it the lack of power? I seen a program that is suppose to detect bottlenecks on your system on toms hardware but i cant find it. I am gonna get that adapter for the graphics card soon (does anyone know if best buy has a 6 socket powerplug converter).

Please share your thoughts.

I am still trying to figure out if the ECS mobo is overclockable.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Support/TSSCaseDetail....

More about : severe bottleneck

January 7, 2008 10:33:20 PM

I reckon it's a combination of lack of power to the card and CPU.
January 7, 2008 11:14:28 PM

why the CPU? i used psu calculator and i only need a 230 watt psu, for everything. i think it is just because i dont have a plug for the graphics card. I dont have alot on this computer.
Related resources
January 7, 2008 11:23:46 PM

And just for reference i get low fps with alot of games except wow which is 50 fps avg on high settings and low resolution.
January 7, 2008 11:26:35 PM

Try it with high resolution. If your fps is still low, then it's definitely the power supply. That PSU calculator is not very accurate. You have to look at the 12+ rails on the PSU to truly determine if it's enough.
January 7, 2008 11:31:45 PM

my cpu was a bottleneck even for my 6600gt. @ stock i would get 40-50 fps in source games and newer games but i oc'ed processor to 2.4 and i get 70-100 in source and newer games.
January 7, 2008 11:35:05 PM

My fps went lower when i raised the resolution up one notch on crysis but not on WOW, I have 3, 4 pin connectors left i know i have the power just dont think it is being supplied because that 1 PCI-E connector on the card is not plugged up.
January 8, 2008 12:00:26 AM

After playing all games and i noticed my cpu is running at 90-100%, I was told by the fry's employee that this thing blows my old Pentium D 805 out of the water, he called me a intelfanboi and I called him a Amdfanboi which denied, (i know he was fanboi). My old pentium D 805 blows this AMD piece of **** out of existence, i would have to spend $120 at least to buy a AMD CPU to match that $70 outdated Furnace Pentium D.

Anyone know of a cpu/mobo (Must be Intel) deal that cost less than $100 at fry's?
January 8, 2008 12:04:13 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Jake_Barnes
January 8, 2008 12:07:42 AM

Quote "FanBoi's Cant live with them cant kill them"
They are annoying when they post bullcrap on the internet and more annoying when they rip you off.

My previous post is not bullcrap.
January 8, 2008 12:23:33 AM

Um.. not sure what you're talking about there.. a $60 AMD dual core rapes a Pentium D 805..
As for your problem.. its 100% because you're not powering the card, it can't draw half the power it needs to run out of a Pci-e slot alone..
January 8, 2008 12:32:46 AM

And how can you be so sure? The CPU is at 80-90% im so sure thats not the problem "sarcasm"

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&m...

Which is equal if they are both oc'd to max, (the pentium D 805 cant be compared to other cpu's if the 805 is not oc'd considering thats what makes it so special).

Ok my bad.
January 8, 2008 12:37:42 AM

I still say the video card needs more juice.
January 8, 2008 12:38:21 AM

And that AMD CPU you used in the link is a single core.

January 8, 2008 12:39:25 AM

septic said:
I still say the video card needs more juice.

I hope to god you are right. Parents wont let me spend more money on this computer, and i dont have much more.
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 365 U Graphics card
January 8, 2008 12:45:05 AM

chaosgs said:
Quote "FanBoi's Cant live with them cant kill them"

HEY!!!

That was my line before I changed it to:

There is no such thing as a stupid question.
But there are stupid people.
January 8, 2008 12:46:34 AM

Yep i got it from someone on this forum :p 
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 365 U Graphics card
January 8, 2008 1:07:26 AM

You definitely need a new power supply. How much money do you have left to spend?
January 8, 2008 2:10:56 AM

no more than $25
January 8, 2008 2:12:03 AM

im crossing my fingers it is just that pci-e connector.
January 8, 2008 2:17:05 AM

Quote:
Hey you can use my credit card

OK :ange: 
January 8, 2008 2:36:36 AM

was nobody paying attention? he said he didn't plug the power into the video card. seems pretty darn obvious to me. don't shout psu until he actually plugs in the card and tries it out.
January 8, 2008 2:37:46 AM

i still think it is the CPU
January 8, 2008 2:39:27 AM

jeremyrailton said:
was nobody paying attention? he said he didn't plug the power into the video card. seems pretty darn obvious to me. don't shout psu until he actually plugs in the card and tries it out.

My first post did say '...lack of power to the card...' :) 
January 8, 2008 2:41:40 AM

You need to have power going to your Video card. It is necesarry to work. Thinking it's your cpu is plain stupid.
January 8, 2008 2:59:52 AM

That PSU is nowhere near enough. You want a 500W minimum, from a good brand like Corsair, Tagan, Seasonsic, PCP&C etc.
January 8, 2008 3:07:47 AM

Well i oc'd my cpu from 1900 to 2250 and no fps change at all, ill try the connector, if that is not it than it is either the psu or the Graphics card, this is the GX2 the second card may not work properly, idk.
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 365 U Graphics card
January 8, 2008 3:08:20 AM

chaosgs said:
no more than $25

Sorry, but that is just too little to buy a decent quality power supply.

You need to spend more than double that. The least expensive PSU I recommend is the:

FSP Group SAGA+ 450R ATX12V 450W Power Supply => $55 + $8 shipping

The video card simply requires too much power. According to nVidia the 7950 GX2 needs 140w just by itself. A cheap power supply can fail under load and when it dies there is a slight chance that it can destroy other computer components. It'll be inexpensive at first, but it will cost you in the end.

Save up some money, otherwise you will never be able to tap into the raw power of your video card.

The CPU is also a little weak, but the lack of power to your video card is the main cause of your bottleneck.
January 8, 2008 3:15:24 AM

1 stick of ram 1 HD low 35 wat cpu 1 fan and 1 150 watt Graphics card = about 250 watts of 380 watts available. and it is brand new, i just dont think it is the psu, this computer is only suppose to last me till june so if it short circuits and burns june 1, i dont care. I just want to have fun with crysis now (and a few other games UT3).

I intend on upgrading slightly and selling it to my dad june 1st. so the psu probably wont fail before then, (intend on upgrading in March or April).

BTW they forgot to charge me for the case (psu included) and Crysis game, so im not all that mad at the PSU. :p 
January 8, 2008 3:18:09 AM

MUST I REITERATE WHAT HAS BEEN SAID MULTIPLE TIMES: YOUR GPU NEEDS POWER - GIVE IT SOME POWER. How can you expect to power 2 GPU's through one PCI-E slot?

I imagine that you're getting good frames in some games because they are basic 2D games. Once you kick in the 3D, the cards will draw power - and if they don't get it, they will underperform.

Also, did you make sure to disable your Onboard Video and did you uninstall the drivers BEFORE installing the 7950 GX2???
January 8, 2008 3:23:43 AM

chaosgs said:
1 stick of ram 1 HD low 35 wat cpu 1 fan and 1 150 watt Graphics card = about 250 watts of 380 watts available. and it is brand new, i just dont think it is the psu, this computer is only suppose to last me till june so if it short circuits and burns june 1, i dont care. I just want to have fun with crysis now (and a few other games UT3).

BTW they forgot to charge me for the case (psu included) and Crysis game, so im not all that mad at the PSU. :p 

ROFLMAO. Wow, that's all I can say...

1) Wattage doesn't matter as much as AMPERAGE. For Example: if your PSU supplies 500W but 10A on the 12V line, YOUR GPU WILL NOT WORK.

2) "they forgot to charge me for the case (psu included)" - what does that tell you about the quality of the PSU??? It still amazes me how people can put lavish components into a case and then say: "who cares about the PSU, it puts out XXXXW of power!" THE PSU IS THE HEART OF THE COMPUTER - DON'T SKIMP ON IT.
January 8, 2008 3:37:08 AM

Quote:
I just want to have fun with crysis now (and a few other games UT3).

Now thats funny...now there's no way you're gonna be able to run crysis...well atleast not at any playable framerate...Not too sure about UT3 (ashamed to say I haven't played it yet :(  )
January 8, 2008 10:32:13 AM

Yes i uninstalled the drivers and turned the onboard video off,

"what does that tell you about the quality of the PSU???"
The idiot at fry's just didnt scan the case or thought he did but didn't.
What is the required amperage of this card? ive googled but cant find it.

The geforce 7950 GX2 will play crysis on at least medium settings, if the geforce 8600 which is really just a slightly faster 7600 GT card can play at medium settings, than i think this card can with ease.
January 8, 2008 10:40:01 AM

Hmm, I have 26 amps on the 12 V line (w/e line that is) the requirement is suppose to be 28 Amps, but my 5 volt line has 29 amps, ill soon see if i can power it or not.
January 8, 2008 11:46:08 AM

If the card does not have the power it need (this card definately need more because it has a connector to bring it), there are two thing I noticed it will do.

1- Way to low power supplied to it. Card will never go in 3d mode and you get crap performance because it always run slow bacause it know it can go any faster.

2- Near enough power The card will go in 3d mode but risk crashing during heavy gameplay. I have noticed this with another card that can be noted as a good power hog (radeon X1950XTX)

Give it more juice and you will see it's true power
!