Ready to buy new system, should I wait?

kyledantarin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah so I was going to get this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-048-OK with this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-051-CL

I know it might be better value to buy the parts etc but I cba with the hassle of building it and I like the guarantee on the overclock, and I have the dollar so to speak. But given penryn about to come out and potential the 9 series for nvidia, should I wait for the prices to come down? I mean this is already a mainstream system overclocked for power, so perhaps the parts wont depreciate too much in the next few weeks anyway.

I'm kind of ok to wait, but I'm also happy to buy asap. Any advice would be much appreciated <3

Dame1701

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
When it comes to the question of when to buy, it's kinda like the question how long is a piece of string... I sat around for two years strugging with as woefully incapable system until I finally bit the bullet and decided to upgrade. I have to say that it was well worth it - my new system rocks.

One thing I find is that there is always something bigger and better just around the corner. At the moment, we are waiting for the new 9000 series of Nvidia graphics cards, along with the next generation of Intel processors - even AMD potentially has something exciting in the wings. Having said that, you need to decide whether you want more power right here and right now. Do you already have applications and games that you feel are running too slow for comfort. If so it's time to upgrade. If not then you have yet to find a convincing reason to do so - simple as that!

Overclockers are a good company, I've ordered lots of stuff from them in the past. I always build my own systems, but I suspect that if their prebuilt system are anything like the components they sell (I have their generic 8800 GTX for example) then they will be very very good.

As chuckm says, you can indeed always upgrade the processor and GPU if you need to so really there is very little to lose!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
"Award winning Crucial 2GB Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 CAS5 (2x1GB) Dual Channel Kit (Overclocked at 1000MHz+) (Note when upgrading to 4GB overclock drops to 3.10GHz-3.30GHz on CPU)"

Why? anyone?

Anywho, looks like a good buy and as chuckm said you can always upgrade it later with that mobo ;)

kyledantarin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah I agree with what you're saying, and I definitely know you can't wait forever, but if the 9 series is coming out very soon and/or the penryn (I mean how soon are we talking?), will that quickly affect the knock on onto a system like this one? Sorry to be fiddly. Truth is I'm happy ot buy it yesterday, but I dont want to be kicking myself if it goes down £100 or so in the following week :S